Monday, April 04, 2005

whiners

I have a problem with whiney people, and I work with a few, hence this post.

Where I work, we are 'subsidized', for lack of a better word, by the Coke company. We have a fountain, just like your average McDonalds that has Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, etc. and in places where there is no fountain, cans are delivered. One thing we aren't given is bottled water. There is a filter on the tap though in the kitchen, so there is filtered water.

I should back up and say...this is not the first time the whiners have struck. I've listened to it on a number of subjects and bit my tongue. My favorite lately was that the mandatory quarterly employee meetings aren't interesting enough. The whine went "Management should do a better job of entertaining us and more people would want to go." Yes, and maybe then it'd be so entertaining the word would get out, and they'd be turning people away at the door, and you'd have to pay to get in, instead of being paid to be there, and we'd all have to finds something else to do for work. What about this is a job. You're paid to be here don't you understand?

This time though it was the lack of bottled water in the products that are given to us (because Disani water is a Coke product). The first line was something like, "They want us to be healthy but they give us soda to drink." and then, "I'm being forced to drink this sugar water." Finally I had enough. I walked over and told the offender, "It's freakin' free! Nobody is forcing you to drink anything. I don't like Coke so I don't drink it, but if you want it, it's there. If you insist on bottled water, there's a grocery store down the street and you can buy whatever your whiney heart desires."

What I got back was, "I don't really think it's whining." and "I think they should give us bottled water." This was followed by a few other comments like, "I'd say something but I don't want anyone to think I'm whining."

Some folks don't know how good they have it, and if something is being given to you and you don't want it, how hard is it to just leave it alone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home