Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Al Davis - the man's lost it

I was in the gym last night, watching ESPN News while sweating on the elliptical machine and the stationary bike, each for 35 minutes, and then a few other things.

ESPN News is on a loop, for the most part. Some things get updated, but some things repeat on the half hour. Therefore, when you watch it for any length of time, you see the same stuff over again...and maybe over yet again.

Over the course of an hour and a half, I had the opportunity to watch portions of the Al Davis press conference, where he announced the firing of Raiders coach Lane Kiffin, multiple times. I swear the guy's lost it. I watched his performance and just kept thinking, "What a piece of slime." Kiffin was in an impossible situation in Oakland. He had no support from the front office. It was widely known Davis wanted to get rid of him but didn't want to pay him what he owed the guy according to his contract if he did. That press conference was just a show, to make it look like it was all Kiffin's fault, so he could say he got rid of him for cause, so he could keep his money.

I don't really have a dog in this fight. Lane Kiffin isn't anybody special to me, and neither is Al Davis, but that's just the impression I get from watching this thing unfold, watching those clips last night, and forming an opinion. I realize I could be swayed by the media and be completely off base. Maybe I'm wrong, and Al's on the up and up. Honestly, nobody knows what happened inside the organization except those who live there. It sure doesn't look that way from where I sit though.

Al Davis probably won't pay Kiffin a dime, whether there's a lawsuit or grievance involved or not, and whether he wins it or not. He can ask Broncos coach Mike Shanahan how that works. Kiffin was screwed the day he took the Raider coaching job...and so's the next guy stupid enough to jump in that brier patch.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home