Tuesday, August 02, 2005

golf and sunglasses

I played in a charity golf tournament this weekend, benefitting the YMCA. It was the usual for this kind of tournament. There were door prizes and prizes for best score, closest to the pin on par 3 holes, longest drive on one hole, and a few other things.

Usually on the longest drive hole, I rear back and try to slam it as far as possible...with disasterous results. It more often than not means a nasty duck hook or a soaring shot into the trees somewhere. This was not the case Saturday. I hit a beautiful drive on that hole and watched it majestically soar down the middle of the fairway. I stood on the tee box and just watched, all proud of myself. I listened to the compliments of my teammates and enjoyed the moment, until I got out there and saw where it landed....a good 40 yards short of the guy who won. Oh well, at least I know I gave it as good an attempt as I can. In my defense, the guy who won hit it well over 300 yards. There's always one.

I lost my sunglasses that day. When we got there it was hot and sunny, so I wore them. Then it showered a bit and was overcast toward the end of the round, so I took 'em off and put them with my cell phone, so I wouldn't forget them. I know I had them when I was looking at the big ol' scoreboard (where my team was nowhere near the top, but we were respectable) but somehow left without them. Maybe it was the free beer coupled with the heat and humidity...who knows. However it happened, I left with my cell phone but without my sunglasses.

It rained that evening, so I didn't miss them, until the drive to church the next morning...YOW! It was nasty bright out!

I called the folks I rode to the tournament with...the shades weren't in their car. I called the folks at the pro shop at the golf course, twice, and no, nobody had seen them. I know it's my own fault. I'm the one who put them down and left without them, but I'm sure someone's seen them, or more to the point, is seeing right through them today, and that's a shame.

It was an expensive lesson, but one I don't plan on repeating.

Oh and another note on honesty and such. We finished the tournament 4 under. Like I said, not something that will win in a scramble, but not bottom of the barrel material either. We had the opportunity to watch the group in front of us all day. We got that opportunity because they played so slow and were all over the course so much, we were constantly waiting for them to hit their next shot (or two). We heard an audible cheer on one, count 'em, one hole. Somehow that team posted a final score of 9 under and I don't see how. I wasn't specifically counting, but they hit an awful lot of shots. It didn't matter that much. While they beat us, they still didn't finish in a place where any merchandise headed their way. I guess, the cheer was for that eagle they posted, and the birdies were just routine things. Am I whining? Yeah, maybe. Should I stop now? Yeah, maybe that too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home