Thursday, July 28, 2005

Toad the Wet Sprocket

Toad the Wet Sprocket is pretty much my favorite "nobody ever heard of them but they're damn good" band. They existed, broke up, existed again, and broke up again between the late 80's and 2003 or 2004. Now one of them is touring solo and everyone else is (from what I can gather, but I'm no expert) either in bar bands or doing other things with their lives. The only reason they're front and center on my radar screen now is they have a new CD which I expect to show up in my mail any day now. It's new in that it was recently released. It's old in that it's a CD of a live concert in 1992. Musical taste is a very individual thing, so I won't presume everyone else would think they're as good as I do, but you might want to check out the little samples you can hear on the web at places like amazon.com.

The reason for this post...

The name of the band, you have to admit, is a little strange. OK, maybe you don't, but I do, and I decided to try to figure out where they got it. In doing a little reading, I discovered the band's name came from a Monty Python sketch. I'm having trouble with that because I grew up on Monty Python, and thought I knew all things Python, and I can't, for the life of me, remember a sketch that would inspire a name like Toad the Wet Sprocket. Any help from anyone out there would be greatly appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home