Monday, August 22, 2005

the weekend in review

I left work early Friday, not feeling well (headache, flu kinda symptoms), and spent most of the weekend playing couch potato. For those of you who are thinking this was a good deal of some sort, I have but two words and a number. Home Alone 3. Daytime TV is bad stuff, but I guess it's good to sleep to. I think I'm doing better, but this nagging headache is still around.

It did give me an opportunity to listen to several opinions on people and things, and weigh in with my own.

Tigger Woods left the PGA Championship on his private jet Sunday night to go back home to Orlando while the tournament was suspended to be finished on Monday. He was 2 shots off the lead and the leaders had two holes to play. There is a segment of the sports talk world trying to make a big deal of it, because the tournament wasn't over and there was a slim chance he could be in a playoff. Now, I've made my opinion of Mr. Woods clear in the past. I admire his talent, but I'm no fan. I think there are far more fan friendly golfers out there and if, come Sunday, it's a battle between Tiger and someone like Fred Funk, I'm pulling for Fred Funk all the way. Leaving Sunday night though was a calculated risk that I think few would have taken. OK, maybe nobody else except Tiger Woods. It's a bit like drinking a few too many adult beverages and driving home and making it without harming yourself or anyone else. It was a stupid, arrogant (big surprise there) thing to do, but he got away with it. Therefore, no big deal, or at least nothing anyone will remember after this week. Now, if the circumstances would have come about that he was in the playoff and absent, it would have been one of the biggest gaffes in sports. Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Randy Moss says he may smoke pot. I don't know if he does or doesn't, but to say in an interview that he may is just stupid. People want to say, "We ask our athletes to be honest, and here a guy's doing that and you want to crucify him!" No. I don't want to crucify him, but I will criticize him. Being honest is a good thing, but that doesn't let you off the personal responsibility hook of what you're honest about. Taken to an extreme, if serial killer Ted Bundy got up and told a jury exactly how many people he killed, they don't go back to the jury room and say, "Well, he was honest. Let's let him go." Being honest about being stupid doesn't make you any less stupid. It makes you honestly stupid, which is better than a stupid liar.

The Jaguars played the Tampa Bay Bucs Saturday night. The defense again looked good. Special teams looked pretty good (one fumbled punt return by a rookie) and the rookies over all look promising. The offense still isn't lighting it up and again the talk radio folks are going crazy calling for the head of one Byron Leftwich. I, maybe through teal colored glasses, saw improvement. Granted, you couldn't get much worse from the first preseason game, but the first string offense actually moved the ball this time. They failed, however, to move it over the goal line, settling for field goals. I'm still cautiously optimistic. On the good side, we're the Florida pre-season champ. On the bad side, that isn't saying much. The boys have a lot of work to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home