Friday, October 14, 2005

a weekend of...hell, I really don't know

Well part of it I do. The youngster's regular (as opposed to advanced baseball) team plays Saturday. The team they play, the Giants, is coached by his advanced ball coach. The second baseman (as well as the shortstop and first baseman) on the advanced ball team plays for the Giants. Personally, I think the youngster is better at second, but I'll admit just a touch of 'dad' bias. I'm hoping tomorrow proves it's not 'dad' bias. I want his performance to say "in your face" to the guy who has him on his advanced ball team as an alternate where he gets to play occasional outfield. I want the youngster to have a kick-ass game at second, because he can...and I want him running the bases, because he can...and I want the Mets to ten-run-rule the Giants, because they can. BUT, and yeah, there is a but...on the other hand, his best friend (the above mentioned first baseman) plays for the Giants, which isn't his fault. He didn't ask to be on that team and listen to even more of, "look-a-me, look-a-me, look-a-me!" He is there, though, and I like the kid and his folks, so from that angle, I don't want them to get ten-run-ruled. Still the youngster's team should win, if I have my way. That said, I don't always get my way, but I can hope. Let's face it, reality rarely cooperates with the scenarios in my perfect world. All I need to do is buy a lotto ticket to be reminded.

Next, the Jaguars go into Pittsville to play the Steelers, where Big Bill is playing a shell game with Big Ben. Will he play? Won't he play? Will Hines Ward play? Will Fred Taylor play? So many questions and in the end, will any of the bigger questions be answered? If any of the above mentioned players aren't in the game, what will the outcome mean, if anything? OK, if the Steelers win with Charlie Batch at quarterback and no Hines Ward, it answers all the important questions. It says the Steelers are very much for real and the Jaguars need to go shopping for a drawing board. It means John needs to start saying "Wait'll next year." Any scenario in which the Jagaurs win though says...what? Anything? I don't think so. All the talking heads will say sure, you went into Pittsville and beat the Steelers, but it wasn't the real Steelers. Roethlisberger wasn't 100%, or didn't play, or whatever the case may be. Ward isn't 100%. You caught them on a short week. The excuses are laid out waiting to be used, and some of them have merit. If the Jaguars win, all you can really say is they are 4 and 2 (which beats saying they are 3 and 3) going into the bye week. Other than that, I really don't know that it says a thing. What it will do it keep my friends who are Steeler fans from making snide remarks, and I'll take that any day over starting Monday morning saying, 'Wait'll next year."

3 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

beware:
Heinz field breaks visiting players.

that being said, my best wishes for pristine execution and health are with the Jags on Sunday.

Also Saturday: I envision a tight game in which the youngster's best friend makes a couple a great defensive plays and goes 3/4 at the plate. His day, however, might be overshadowed by the flashy play of the Met's second baseman, turning one or two tight double plays and leaping to catch a line drive would-be base hit in a critical situation. The game is won with a clutch rbi single by the youngster, who goes 2/3 with a walk (nice eye, kid)... and several scoring opportunities are squandered by the Giants through poor strategic decisions by the manager, who also causes a critical error - an infielder, hearing from the dugout a loud "look-a-mee" glances over to see if he's missing a sign... just as a routine grounder is hit past him.

just like winning the lottery, it's fun to imagine, anyway.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

wow. I thought for sure, John, the game was lost. I'm not sure why they ran any plays there at all, since they were already in field goal range. But why can't your Jags capitalize? yikes, now 3rd in 22. awful.

i hate those terrible towel thingys. can't you whip your team into shape in time to win this game? 4th and 27?!!

3:10 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

AND YOUR DEFENSE WINS IT!

thanks, dude.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home