Monday, October 10, 2005

Narnia, and the weekend

I've started reading the Chronicles of Narnia series of kids books. I know, some of you will be asking, "Didn't you read them when you were young?" and, well, no. I didn't. I didn't even know of their existence. I might not know of them now except for talking with people about the Harry Potter series and Lord of the Rings (which I did read when I was young), who make comparisons and so forth. Then when I took the youngster to The Greatest Game Ever Played, one of the previews was for The Chronicles of Narnia movie, and it looked pretty cool. I got the idea we'll probably be going to see it, so I figured I'd read up on the subject. Two books down, five to go, and still not tempted to pick up a wand and try to do magic stuff. Imagine that. The books are very good, by the way. If you, like me, never got there as a kid, you might want to give them a shot.

I read quite a bit of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (2nd in the series) while watching four hours of baseball practice yesterday. It was three hours of practice and an hour of scrimmage with another team...actually more like an hour and a half. At that point I grabbed the youngster and told the coach that was enough. The youngster had studying to do. We left and the scrimmage went on. I don't know for how long, but I'd be surprised if it went much longer. Other parents were complaining amongst themslves (the kids had been there since 10:00 a.m. and it was closing in on 2:30), but I was the first to tell them my kid had other things to do (like study for a Social Studies test today). I imagine once I broke the ice, others probably followed, but who knows. On the good side, the youngster's confidence with the bat is growing, and the effects are noticable. The kid's hitting, and well.

The Jaguars kept me up way too late last night, but it was worth it. The offense started to look like an offense, but rookie tackle Kalif Barnes needs to learn to stay away from the pile when a play ends. Two unnecessary roughness penalies that were...just stupid, and speaking of penalties, holding on Jimmy Smith and Reggie Williams? far away from the play where it made no difference? to kill a drive? Come on guys. I won't complain too loudly because they pulled out the win, but there's plenty of room for more improvement.

Baseball - so the Red Sox are out of it and so are the Braves. I'm not sure which way to go for the rest of the way. It'd be fun to see the Angels take out the Yankees, but at the same time, if they're successful, I have nobody to root against, and my interest level drops. If the Yankees can hold on a little longer, I'll pay more attention, but at the same time, I just can't see myself pulling for the evil empire just to keep my interest level higher. In the NL, I'd kinda like to see Houston hang in there, but I think the Cards might be too tough. I can hope though. It's the playoffs, and anything can happen.

1 Comments:

Blogger Painter Lady said...

I had a roomie in college who kept a set of the books on her bookshelf. She wanted me to read them so we could have debates. Personally, at that time I preferred beer and hot stud debates.

But according to her, the books are great.

my word verification scribble is:

neoaqxul ..sounds like a nasal medicine.

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home