Monday, October 03, 2005

what was THAT

Yes I'm hoarse this morning, but not as hoarse as I would be if the Jaguars would have mounted any kind of effort yesterday. I stopped abusing my throat by the beginning of the fourth quarter, because it wasn't getting us anywhere with half the stadium filing out. I'm still not sure what I saw, but I know it wasn't football. We had no line. We had no quarterback. Well, we did, but it felt like he completed more passes and handed the ball off to more guys in those blue and orange clown suits than guys in real football uniforms. (Yes, I know it's been a few years, but those things the Broncos wear are still ugly, and look more like the paint job on a '72 Dodge than a football uniform.) Fred Taylor ran for a total of 14 yards...for the game! 14 Yards! I think every one of our wide receivers was called for a false start penalty at some point in the game. The Jaguars had a chance to show everyone that they have arrivied, and while they did that, the destination wasn't what I expected. I know every team has bad games, but after the game in Indy, where the defense showed up but the offense took the day off, then last week's showing in New Jersey, where we pulled one out of our collective asses against a team that shouldn't have been able to keep it close, and this week's performance (or lack thereof), my expectations have been significantly lowered. Bad games are supposed to come in ones, not bunches.

So this week Cincinnati comes to town for a Sunday night game, and they haven't lost yet. I'm thinking, they haven't played anyone tough yet. They're ripe for the picking. Yes, that's the homer talking, because anyone with an ounce of objectivity who has watched the Jaguars over the last few weeks would counter with, yes, and they aren't playing anyone tough this week either. Still, if we buckle down and play football, we can do this.

Baseball...now it gets interesting. The Red Sox hit the wild card jackpot to keep the nastiest rivalry still intact. The Yankees and Red Sox aren't playing each other though...yet. As much as I'd like to see the Angels take the Yankees out, I think I'd rather see the Red Sox do it. The National League has less drama (but I do like the NL game better, just because the pitchers have to be real baseball players and swing a bat on occasion, and conversely, nobody gets to be just a bat all the time). Someone will come out of the "bridesmaid but never a bride" matchup of the Braves and Astros, and get stomped upon by the Cardinals...or that's how it looks like it'll play out to me. Then again....that's why they play the games.

The Mets start their season tomorrow night, against a team that played Saturday, and won..16-0. There is a ten run rule in Little League, but you have to get through four innings for it to take effect, if that gives you any indication how that game went. Wish us luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home