Monday, September 26, 2005

immersed in little league

It's been a baseball weekend. Friday night, baseball practice. Saturday, baseball practice and Sunday, a double header on the other side of town.

We squeezed in church Saturday evening in the Catholic concession to people who claim they can't make it on Sunday. To be honest, we could have, but nobody wanted to get up and moving for the 8:00 a.m. Mass, so we gave in to laziness.

The double header was a slaughter. The good guys have only had three practices together and the bad guys are an all star team that is still together. As 10 year olds, they took the state title. Our coach pretty much knew what was coming, but wanted to give our guys some experience against a really good team. Well, they got it, and then some. 12-0 in the first game, and a more respectable (but still losing effort) 6-4 in the second. In the first game, our guys managed to get a total of three men on base. Two were walks (and the youngster was one of those), so the other team pitched a collective one hitter. We came away a bit demoralized but with eyes wide open. I think the youngster saw it another way though - like, these guys aren't better than me. I can hang with this. We'll see how it plays out, but I think his self confidence is in for a boost this fall.

In another move that just fell in line with the disappointing theme of the day, I took my little headphone radio to the baseball game so I could listen to the Jaguars game. First it took me forever to find the thing, not having used it since at least last spring during the draft (at another baseball game), but then I was stupid enough not to replace the batteries. In the end, that might not have been such a bad thing. The Jaguars tried every way possible to hand the game to the Jets, but the Jets are so bad, neither Chad Pennington or Jay Feidler could handle the snap. A minute and a half left in the first half, I was rewarded with silence.

And now, so are you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

turned out alright in the end, John. But it drove me NUTS that the Jaguars did not try to do anything with a whole minute left in regulation. I agree that they did everything they could to hand the game to the Jets.

Now, if you happened to see the Patriots/Steelers game, that would be a nice example of what Jax ought to have attempted at the end, there. To, you know, spare their fans an extra half-hour of agony, and also get to the showers sooner.

Baseball: this would be a good time to tune into the big boys. Exciting stuff going on this week in the AL.

I originally put this comment on the wrong post. Weird. So I fixed it.

11:20 AM  
Blogger John said...

You aren't the only one. I heard most of it second hand (but second hand with every ugly detail), since the radio died, but most people I talked to think Del Rio puts too much stock in our defense and shutting people down and I have to agree. If they were that good, we wouldn't be that close to an overtime game in the first place. He plays not to lose too much, instead of playing to win.

I know, pennant races are heating up and there's a lot going on in your nape of the woods...neck of the wape...the northeast with the Red Sox/Yankees battle. I'm catching bits and pieces between nights on the smaller field with aluminum bats.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

turns out a friend of mine (Jets fan) was at the game, and from what he says the Jags ought to have won that game handily, rather than dragging it on. Jack had better develop some confidence in his offense, or the quality of his defense will be irrelevant. Nobody's ever won a game 0-0, and a bit of initiative would have served them well in Indy last week.

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home