Wednesday, September 21, 2005

a big day in the life

I know..baseball..football...baseball...football. Does the guy write about anything else? Well, I pretty much write about what's happening in my life, and right now, it's being clobbered by little league and the NFL. It's working for me. For you, it might get old. For that, I apologize.

Last night was baseball practice, and the team scrimmaged against another team that practices in their time slot. They alternate with these guys, one gets the field the first hour and the other gets the batting cages, and then they swap. I missed a majority of the scrimmage, because the league is finally getting around to doing background checks on everyone who works with the kids, and last night was one of the few nights people who had the checks completed could get picture IDs that will allow them to step on the field and help, or coach, or whatever. So I spent about an hour in line, waiting to get my mug shot and procuring my badge. (I thought they might let the ax murder thing slide, since it happened in my teens, but I guess that incident with the 17 year old girl a few months back never made it to my record, or they bought my excuse that she said...oooops...never mind.) When I left the scrimmage to walk to the building where the badge process was going on, things didn't look good. We took the field first and I think the other team had pretty much gone through the order with two solid hits and the rest walks. It wasn't pretty. When I returned I was assured that we didn't look all that bad and came back pretty strong. The youngster was playing either second or short most of the time.

Now let me back up by saying the youngster is a small guy in relation to his peers. He's one of the smaller kids on the team and is pretty much a singles hitter. He's fast, and can bunt and hit gappers, but he doesn't hit the home run. In the last inning (the only time I saw him at the plate), he told me he wanted to bunt. I, with help from his coach, talked him out of it. The idea was to practice, not to show a team you'll play twice in the season that you can beat out a bunt. Save that for when we need it. So he got up there to swing, and he did, and he hit a shot...farther than he ever has before. It went over the centerfielder's head and rolled into the fence. The kid had a stand up double easy, but then ruined it by trying to stretch it into a triple. Out at third (although, it was a lousy call. He slid under the tag, but that just may be a dad talking.) Still, he put it out there.

He was still talking about it on the ride to school today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home