Thursday, September 15, 2005

reaching new lows

Because of my round of golf last week, my handicap index has reached a new all time low of 24.2. Woooo hoooooo!

It all has to be taken in with perspective. To a real golfer, that number is embarassingly high. They wouldn't be seen in the same room with it (which explains the giant wooshing sound you just heard as they all left) and would point their finger from afar and laugh. I know they do. I've seen it. Not that it's ever happened to me of course, but I have this friend... That's OK with me. If I was a real golfer, I might do the same, but I'm an occasional golfer wanna-be, so I'm sorta proud of it.

Then there's the other side of the coin. I'm told, by people who actually know, the average golfer never breaks 100 (if they keep an honest score), which would equate to an index over 30, so I'm not doing too bad after all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

what is average... and who decides that average...???

8:10 AM  
Blogger John said...

I have no idea how they come up with that. I guess average recorded scores or somehow figuring out the average person who plays is a hacker who gets out to play less than once a month and can't break 100. I don't know where it comes from. I just know I was all pleased with myself when I finally broke 100 a few years ago, and I got that piuece of trivia handed to me.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home