Wednesday, September 14, 2005

I will do anything for love

I'll start with the apology.

I have this song stuck in my head because of a Dr. Pepper commercial, and now since I'm blogging about it, I'm sure I'll pass on my affliction to at least one other person. To that person, I truly am sorry.

Sunday watching football, this commercial comes on, showing this guy walking down a store aisle with a box of tampons. Then he's checking out and the clerk is holding up the box of tampons for a price check. The music playing is Meat Loaf's I will do anything for love, but I won't do that. It shows a few other scenes I can't remember until he and his girlfriend are on the couch watching TV and she's laying with her head in is lap, and he has a Dr. Pepper. She reaches to take it, and he grabs it back, and leaves. The message being things like buying tampons for my girlfriend are OK, but she had better not take my Dr. Pepper.

OK, cute commercial, but now I can't get that song out of my head.

Not only that, it reminds me of an old comedy act that I saw....probably 15 or 20 years ago. Some stand up guy did a bit about buying tampons. I don't remember it word for word or who it was, but it sorta went like this.

Guys have an issue with going to the store to get tampons for their wives or girlfriends. They ask, and we just cringe. I don't get it. Why do you not want to do that. Seriously, you're in the drug store, you pick them up and...what? If someone sees you, do they really think you're buying them for yourself? The things only have one purpose. All it is really, is a big sign telling everyone who sees you, "I got a woman!" Why else would you be buying them and putting yourself through this? They announce to the world, "I'm getting sex!" though maybe not that night, but still. What could be wrong with that?

The only parts I really remember word for word are the bolded parts. I remember this guy screaming both of those phrases, but the rest of it is contextually there.

3 Comments:

Blogger Painter Lady said...

You know...that commerical actually makes more sense than the Meatloaf Video...and thank you...the song is playing in my head right now...

2:50 PM  
Blogger S.S. said...

I've always thought guys are "shy" about being seen buying tampons, in case people see them and think they bought it so they can stuff it up their ass? I mean, that's the only hole the tampon can be inserted to...

Come on John, you are a guy, you should know this :)

PS. I hate those word verifications. Sometimes they make me feel dizzy :P The one I'm going to type now is "ddrfwi" and I instantly thought of dwarf. And I can swear I can see dwarfs in those letters.

6:19 AM  
Blogger John said...

To be honest, I've never thought of tampons that way. The only thing that came to my mind was people might think, "You must really be whipped if she's got you buying her tampons."

But speaking of pains in the ass, I know the word verification thing is one, but it has kept the spammers at bay so far, so the end is justifying the means.

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home