Tuesday, September 06, 2005

labor day and such

I know it hasn't been a quick recovery, but I am glad to see progress in New Orleans. It's long past about time, but I had to smile when I saw them actually pumping water out.

Spent most of the weekend in a celebration of football in one way or another. One of our neighbors had a huge party Saturday. The gay couple, who throw amazing parties, did the honors. They cut a football field perimeter and yard markers into their front yard using a lawn mower (leaving the rest of the grass a little longer) and put goal posts on either end. They had manequins on either side of their driveway dressed in Jaguars cheerleader outfits, and a huge inflatable Jaguars football player by the front door. There was a D.J. and a dance floor shaped and painted like a football field in the back yard. It was pretty cool. One is a huge Jaguars fan. The other isn't a sports fan, but entertained himself and the rest of us by singing a very good rendition of the National Anthem and prancing (and if there were a better descriptive word for it, I'd use it, but 'prancing' fits...not that there's anything wrong with that) around in a tight referee outfit blowing a whistle. Everyone brought food from their favorite NFL team's town (cheesesteaks from Philly, crawfish from New Orleans, Chicago deep dish pizza, etc.), and since we are a neighborhood with a lot of people from different parts of the country, most were represented. Then there were the college games, which were pretty good. I don't really have a favorite college team, but it's fun watching the underdogs smack the supposed powerhouses in the mouth.

Played golf Monday, and I hate when other guys relive their golf rounds in storytelling fashion for me (and then on 16 I hit a four iron that faded right around the big tree and...yawn), so I won't do the same to you. Suffice to say, 92. So close, yet the quest to break 90 continues.

We also got thrown headlong into fall little league season. Tryouts for advanced ball yesterday. First practice tonight. We learned all that Saturday, so it was nice to get a few days notice. The practice is for the recreational league. We don't know if he made the advanced ball team, and since the tryouts got rain delayed, but still happened yesterday, I didn't get to see them because they ran into my tee time. He is very optimistic. My wife is less so. We'll see. Her pessimism stems from the fact that he doesn't hit home runs, and several kids there could. That, and all the kids who showed up could play very well but only 12 of the 16 who showed up will make the team. To be honest, it'll break his heart if he doesn't make it, but I'm wondering if it'll be a good experience for him even if he does. The coach has a reputation for being a first class jerk with little baseball knowledge. So, we'll see. He still hit every pitch thrown to him and he's quick at second base, so he stands a chance. In his own words, "Dad, I was awesome at second!" and that's coming from a kid who's usually his own worst critic.

I missed tryouts, but I'll get to do practice tonight. I'm the first to admit I don't know enough about baseball to coach, but I'm all about helping if a coach wants help (and I'm sure he will). I can shag balls when he's doing infield practice and do soft toss so they can practice hitting mechanics, and I've seen enough of the youngster's lessons that I know what to look for there to give a little advice, so I'm not a complete slug. Just a partial slug.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Shag balls ?!*!?

Is that allowed...???

I've heard some turns of phrase .. but well ... that just ... i wont go on

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home