Friday, August 26, 2005

incompetence pays

Yes, I stayed home again today. I woke up this morning and felt like I probably could work, but if I did I'd pay for it this weekend and maybe into next week, so lets just kill this cold once and for all. For what it's worth, I rolled over, closed my eyes and slept till after 11:00, which is unheard of for me, so I feel justified.

Our community has it's very own cable company. Yes we do, and when we moved here it was one of the major selling points. "We're laying fiber optics through the whole community. You'll have blazing fast internet and state of the art digital cable every technological dream you will ever have will come true." Nice pitch.

Swing, and a miss.

Well, they went under and were bought out. It seems we're a bit lightning prone in Florida and lightning and fiber don't mix. If lightning struck within a few miles of our little place in the sun, half the community lost its internet and cable, sometimes the phone too...and it would be days before they got it all straightened out. So the new folks came in after the buyout and are still in the process of making it better, by laying real cable and using that instead of fiber. The fiber is still in the ground, rotting away and being useless while the cable is taking over. Still, we are light years behind. We have cable modems and reasonably fast internet, but the cable part is hurting. While the cable company for Jacksonville provides HDTV and 'On Demand' services, we have none of that.

So we get to last night. I'm being the sick kid on the couch, bemoaning the fact that I can't play golf and I can't go to the Jaguars game, listening to the pregame show on the radio. The game didn't sell out (Thursday night, preseason at regular season prices and Katrina wreaking havoc south of us, go figure) so it's blacked out for a gazillion mile radius of Alltel stadium. For grins, I decide to switch to ESPN as the game is starting to see what they are showing Jacksonville in place of the game, and I see...Michael Vick. Then they go to commercial just before kickoff and I figure, any time now, the alternate programming starts....but it doesn't. Next, still listening to the play by play with the TV muted, I watch the kickoff, and the Falcons stall in their first drive. Our incompetent cable company somehow got the game or forgot to black us out or whatever, but I got to see it.

I only watched the first half before crashing, and there were parts I could do without seeing. Up against a team with a real offense, our defense was looking a whole lot more human. Still, the offense left me a bit more optimistic. They actually scored a touchdown, and Matt Jones played with the ones, and looked awesome. He had a one handed catch for 48 yards that should be on Sports Center for days. Reggie Williams needs to practice his route running more than his dance moves, or last year's #1 draft choice might find himself auditioning for Dancing With the Stars, assuming "failed NFL hopeful" makes you close enough to being a star in their eyes. Looking at the others that were on that show, I'd say he has a chance. He blew a fair chance at a touchdown catch by running a bad route on a timing play. Byron Leftwich looked pretty good, and Fred Taylor didn't play long but her played well. Yeah, I have hope.

Back to bed folks. Have a great weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home