Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I've become my own joke

Two years ago the youngster migrated from soccer to baseball. He had never played baseball and decided he wanted to give it a try, and he had no clue. Neither did I. He went to his first tryout and I watched the other dads giving their sons last minute advice. "Keep your head in. Don't step out of the box. Look the ball all the way into your glove." and the kids are looking at them like, "I know dad. I've been hearing this crap for years now." I had to laugh. Being clueless, I had no such advice for the youngster. He went in and did his tryout, which just stated the obvious. He had no baseball skills at all.

So here we are two years later. He has improved considerably after a few years of playing and some lessons and camps and such. Last night was his tryout for fall baseball and I was in his ear. "Keep your head in. Don't step out of the box. Look the ball all the way into your glove." He gave me that look and it hit me. Time to shut up and just let him go out and do his thing. Surprise, surprise! It went well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home