Tuesday, August 23, 2005

if you can't stand the heat

Flip on the A.C.

I know, I know. I live in Florida. Bitchin' about the heat in August is like Santa complaining about the snow as he's preparing for his midnight ride. Besides, it's no worse here than elsewhere.

This past weekend, the kids (yes, we only have one, but we do have neighbors) were in the house playing video games, and I was trying to sleep my way through illness, and actually might have except for the noise. No, the kids were pretty quiet. They get that video game hypnosis thing going and all's well, but my wife spent half the day telling me how the kids need to be outside playing, and there's no sleeping through that. And yeah, I agree with her. They need to be out running around getting some exercise, but when the heat index is over 100 degrees, I don't want the youngster running in the house and hearing, "Joey's passed out on our lawn, dad. What should we do?" I mean, that's a total nap killer. We do have a neighborhood pool with a very cool water slide, and they spent time there, but I'm afraid if they were there any longer, they might look like raisins permanently.

Usually we get an afternoon shower. Usually you can just about set your watch by it. Raining? Must be 3:00. For whatever reason, the weather pattern isn't sending us that form of relief lately, which also means sprinkler systems are working overtime. Water pressure is nowhere to be found at 6 a.m. when I'm trying to wake up under the shower head while getting ready for work.

It can't last much longer. They say we're supposed to get some relief toward the weekend as we drop a few degrees. The heck with the weekend and a few degrees. October can't get here soon enough.

9 Comments:

Blogger Mae said...

Think Florida's hot? You should try TX, it's like 105 in the shade! My sister lives in Tuscon, AZ and she laughs at me when I say it's hot. Aparently it gets to be about 110 on cool days there! :) Sigh! Oh to escape to the Pacific North West!

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The 25 Book Challenge
Your source of information and conversation about education in Georgia and the nation.
Bookmarked, nice to see some decent content for a change. FYI have you seen this we've got a new feature, the 'Flag blog' button, which is inconveniently located between the 'Get Your Own Blog' and 'Next Blog' buttons so that we would presumably be getting some flags on error alone (although if one happens to notice it, you can unflag a blog). I don't know about this, what one person finds offensive is anothers cup of tea? Just my 2 cents, Palm Readings .

12:31 PM  
Blogger S.S. said...

Wow John, you received 4 "junk" comments in one posting - must be your lucky day hehehe....

12:36 PM  
Blogger Painter Lady said...

Do the spammers not know that you're King John??? Off with their heads.

Our heatwave broke today with rain. We're in the 80's and not 100 like the weekend.

(curtsies to the King)

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weblogs Inc., to launch money blog
Jason Calacanis' Weblogs Inc., is gearing up to launch a as yet unnamed personal finance blog, according to an anonymous email received by the Blog Herald.
I did a bit of blog surfing when I came upon your nice blog.
Stil smoking, but you want to stop?
Quit smoking now Think of your health and stop smoking now.

12:50 PM  
Blogger John said...

up to 5 spam comments...lucky me. Maybe I can get to 10 by the end of the day.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I think Florida in december is perfect... warm enough to bronze the skin... cool enough to enjoy the heat

2:16 PM  
Blogger Painter Lady said...

The spammers are drawn to the charisma of King John.

3:45 PM  
Blogger John said...

Yeah, but it's all good. With the spammers, if you look at the stat meter it looks like the multitudes actually read this place. It's the illusion of an audience, and we know that I, like a recent sax playing president, am all about style over substance.

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home