Friday, September 09, 2005

"Here's the pitch, and he takes strike one" or "A man's got to know his limitations"

Vin Scully or Clint Eastwood, take your pick.

We were in TCBY sucking down frozen yogurt last night when I told the youngster of my observations in his little league meeting. Specifically I told him I noticed when everyone asked what position they wanted to play, nobody said anything about pitcher, and that he might have to step up and give it a shot.

I think this is the first time I really noticed that the "smart ass" gene is alive and well and functioning in my offspring. I mean, he's tried before, but this is the first time I think he really succeeded.

He looked at my wife and said, "I couldn't have heard what I just thought I heard, because it almost sounded like dad was funny." (Almost??? Ouch! That one stung just a bit.)

Then he looked at me, and said, "I heard you wrong, didn't I? You didn't really say that I should try to pitch, did you? Dad, I can throw about 40 miles an hour. I'll get killed. I can play third, short and second and maybe first if I have to, and the outfield, but I can't pitch."

There was a time he wanted to be a catcher, but his old coach looked at him and said, "You weigh 70 pounds soaking wet. There's no way I'm sticking you out there blocking the plate. Your mom will kill me." and that was the end of that dream, until he grows a bit.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.thereignofellen.com/pictures/anna_what.jpg

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home