Wednesday, September 07, 2005

O-feel-ya

Damn it's wet. O-feel-ya might be seeing my "O" face, but not "O" face like in the movie Office Space. More like the "O" face that goes "O shit!" Come to think of it though, those to faces are probably very similar. I think I'm turning Japanese, but I digress.

Baseball practice got rained out last night. I have a feeling anything outdoors will be rained out through the weekend. The Jaguars/Seahawks game Sunday is looking like it's going to be very muddy. Tropical storm Ophelia is sitting off the coast dumping on the whole east coast of the state. I don't expect much wind, but we will get a lot of rain through the week, no matter what it ends up doing. After seeing Katrina though, I shouldn't complain so I'll stop now.

For baseball, we did have a team meeting in lieu of practice and things are looking grim. The coach asked each kid where he wanted to play. One kid said catcher, one said shortstop, one said second base (the youngster) and one said anywhere (you gotta love those) and everyone else said either outfield or center field. We're hurtin' for pitchers, among other things, but it's going to get crowded in the outfield. We're the Mets this fall, but so far the word 'amazing' isn't coming to mind. We shall see. I know the youngster doesn't see himself as a pitcher, but he may not have a choice if day one was any indication.

I hate politics. I hate when something like Katrina happens and everyone is pointing fingers trying to blame this, that or the other. I don't give a damn whose fault it is. Just fix it! Figure out what happened later and then if we need someone's head on a platter, fine. For now though, just work on making things better. I have no problem with figuring out why we were dysfunctional and fixing the process and ridding ourselves of incompetence. I just think now isn't the time. Do the lessons learned thing after everybody and everything are taken care of, and then if you want to make scapegoats, heap blame and fire people, be my guest.

2 Comments:

Blogger S.S. said...

All of these could have been avoided if those people listened to the evacuation order and actually acted on it! It makes me mad to think that these people have caused so much trouble because they were being so stubborn.

I read about the aligators. Those people who are still there must be so scared.

Again, if they have left the town in the first place, they wouldn't have to deal with the alligators, would they??

9:34 AM  
Blogger John said...

There are lots of things Sandra. Many people had no way to get out of town, yet there are empty school busses sitting in the flood. There are people from George Bush down to Mayor Ray Nagin and everywhere in between that could have made it better, yes, down to the people who could and didn't obey the evacuation order. The thing is, now we have this huge horror. I wish they'd all deal with that first. Then worry about why it happened and how we can avoid it next time.

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home