Wednesday, September 28, 2005

you knew it was coming

Yeah, I was all smiles back in June when the Yankees were sliding. I was having fun with the fact that George opens his wallet every year and expects to buy a championship and this year it wasn't working in spectacular fashion..then. Even then though, you knew. You knew, come the end of the season, the Yankees would be there in the thick of things, and now, they are.

It does make it interesting. I suppose it's better than one team running away with it and taking all the drama out, but you knew the team that would make it interesting wasn't going to be the Devil Rays. You know now that next year it won't be the Devil Rays, or the year after, or the year after. Nor will it be the Royals, and that's my biggest beef with Major League Baseball. Some teams have no hope of competing.

I, as a Jaguar fan, hope the same thing doesn't happen to the NFL. There are rumblings among the small market teams there about revenue sharing, and a level playing field. So far the owners in the NFL have been pretty smart about it, which is why the league is the strongest one in sports in this country. I hope they stay that way. If they don't, I can see the long term implications being scrawled on the wall. Can you say, "Los Angeles Jaguars?" I hope you can't.

A few months ago I heard this rumor that hockey in all its NHL glory was back. Must've just been a rumor though, because I haven't heard anything else since. Maybe I should venture down to Skate World in downtown J'ville and see if we inadvertently inherited the Rangers or something. (You know, kinda like, "Oh shit Martha, look what someone left on the doorstep.") One of my car pool kids plays hockey there. Maybe I'll ask him if some unusually big kids seem to be out on the ice a lot. I wonder if they'll be televised. Does ESPN have an ESPN4 network...channel...whatever? I wonder if anyone still cares. Maybe in Canada someone does, where it's second only to curling, so they could watch it on ESPN4 when ESPN3 is covering the drama of the national curling championships.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home