Monday, July 23, 2007

the weekend in review

First, the MS150 update - I thought I'd try to do a group ride Saturday morning. I haven't really done that and it's about time I learn. The guys opening a bike shop near the house told me they have a group that leaves from a neighborhood near mine at 6:30 Saturday mornings, so I got up extra early, and pedaled over there in plenty of time, and waited....and waited some more. Apparently I need more specifics, because nobody showed up where I was at the entrance to that neighborhood. Maybe they gather near there, or someplace other than the main entrance. After waiting until I was pretty sure it was past 6:30 (I didn't have a watch), I set out on my own....and pased the 60 mile mark. Not by much, mind you...60.27 miles, but still, it was 60 miles on a bike. There was a bit of wind, which slowed me down a little...average 17.4 miles an hour for the trip. I could say it's the farthest I've ever gone on a bike, but I could say that almost every week for at least the last 2 months. I realize it's a matter of necessity. If I'm going to do this ride in September, I pretty much have to venture where I never have before. I'm well into uncharted territory when it comes to how far I can go on a bicycle....and I'm pretty damn proud of that.

It was the first time I was really looking for one, so I have no idea when that stopped....when did the signs in front of drug stores and banks go away that used to tell time? Have they been gone for a long long time? There were banks and a drug store near where I was supposed to meet this group, and I figured...well, since I'm not sure what time it is, I'll just pedal over to the bank and...no sign. Dang!

Since I was getting up early Saturday for the ride that didn't happen, we blew off the midnight ride to Barnes and Noble for the Deathly Hallows. Did pick it up Saturday, and I'm about a third of the way through it. So far, so good. It will be the end of a tradition for the youngster and me. I read the first six Harry Potter books aloud to him through the years. He's going into high school and he still wants to do that for number seven...which I'm liking. We haven't started yet. He went up to mom-in-law's house yesterday and won't be back 'til Thursday. I expect to be done with it on my own by then.

Have a great Monday folks!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home