Monday, August 11, 2008

a sick day...or two

I tend to try to play through sickness, which is more stubborness than any sort of redeeming quality.

I'll feel a little sick and decide it's not bad enough to stay home, and I'll keep going to work and not getting better and eventually, I'll give in. At least, that's how it's been for the longest time.

Maybe it's a sign that there is some intelligent life on my own personal planet in that I'm learning from my stupidity. Either that or the wife's nagging is making a bit of headway. In either case, I'm seeing that I really just need the down time, on occasion.

Wednesday, at work, I just started feeling bad. I couldn't put my finger on what it was, but it kinda felt flu-like...a bit light headed and generally weak. Thursday, I was supposed to play golf after work, but I cancelled and went home to rest. Thursday night, I was sporting a low grade fever, so the nagging kicked in. Being honest about it, the wife was making a lot of sense. If I got back up Friday and went to work, yet again, I'd feel like crap Friday night, yet again...and I have months of sick days on the books. I really needed to just take one...so I did...and it helped...a lot. (There, I admit it. OK?)

There was also the fact that we had company in town. This past weekend was the wife's dad's 80th birthday, and her brothers came into town for the occasion, so we had one and his family staying with us.

In any case, maybe after 50 years, I'm still figuring some stuff out...like stay home when you feel like shit.

You'll be happy to know I think I'm all better now. It kinda makes me wonder though because I went through this same cycle a few weeks ago, and that's just a bit weird. We'll see how it goes from here, but I'm definitely paying attention.

On a smirky side note (beacuse I have spent couch time of Olympic proportions over the weekend), Way to go French! Most might think the Americans pretty much shoved it in their face when the French relay team said they'd "smash" the Americans in the Olympics and came in...ahem...second. Not so, actually (and I've been to France, so I know this). It's just a matter of definition. When the French say "smash," what you saw was a perfectly normal outcome. It's right in line with how they "smashed" the Germans in WWII, or how Napoleon "smashed" the Brits at Waterloo. "Smash" in French just doesn't translate well. Instead of meaning "smash" as we think of it in English, the word is more accurately translated as "be the bitch of".

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home