Thursday, July 31, 2008

will golf ever love me back?

Maybe if I practiced....or played more...or something.

OK, I played with someone who is terrible....and yes, there is a such thing as more terrible than me. It was a two man team scoring format, and with that much LOFT (lack of f***ing talent) involved, I really shouldn't have expected more.

To be honest, we didn't do all that bad, considering who we were, and it was fun. It just hits you when you turn in your score card, and someone who actually plays golf and is good at it asks, "how'd you do?" Your partner, who's actually a little proud of the score, pipes up with "we're 12 over" and the reaction is an ugly grimace, followed by a condescending "If I were 12 over, I think I would have quit after the first few holes."

Well, maybe so, but we're not you. We don't play every week and twice on the weekend. I understand some folks are fanatical about golf, and competitive as hell about it as well. I'm just not one of them. I love getting out and playing the game, which is why I'd never quit after a few holes. The score is less important to me than getting out and hitting the ball, and if I get to hit it a few more times than the next guy, am I not actually getting a little more for my money?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home