Thursday, July 24, 2008

bits and pieces

The youngster's out of town this week, touring coastal Georgia with mom-in-law. It gives the wife and I some time to ourselves, give him some time with grandma, and makes me realize how much I miss him when he's not here. All good things.

In his absence, the wife and I have gone out to dinner more than usual. Nothing too extravagant, but just...out. Last night...Longhorn Steak House. Home of country music and a good steak, and in my opinion, the best birthday jingle of any restaurant...
"Fry a chicken
Catch a hawg
It's your birthday
Hot dawg!"
Not that it was either of our birthday. We were just there to eat. Behind us was what seemed to be grandparents and a granddaughter. Grandpa was doing his best to ruin their meal, our meal, and anyone else's in earshot, talking rather loudly about the girl like she wasn't there...

"Why does she have to blah blah blah..."
"Why doesn't she blah blah blah..."
"She won't even blah blah blah..."
"We should just leave if she won't blah blah blah... Let's get out of here!"
"She wants mac and cheese..in a steak place???"

Well, yeah she wants mac and cheese. So do a lot of kids. That's why it's on the kids menu. Yes, the girl wasn't saying much, and she was definitely wasn't saying a word to him. I can't blame her. He was being an asshole. Grandma was struggling to keep the peace, and it was all very tense. I know it's none of my business, but I struggled to bite my tongue. I succeeded, but still...

We talked a little about next summer. The wife is working on her bachelors degree and should be done by early next summer...and we haven't road tripped north in a few years. Next summer we may have to head back to Pennsylvania. I checked into it a little, and the MS chapter in Harrisburg has a bike ride through Amish country in July (it was last weekend). On a humorous note, their web page about teams riding in the event has four pictures of team tents. They obviously aren't pictures of team tents from their ride, because the fourth picture is of our team tent last year in Daytona (note the palm trees in the background). In any case, can you hear the wheels turning? Just might be pedaling through covered bridges next July.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Lynsey said...

John you never fail to crack me up. You know how some people type LOL but they're not really LOL? Well, I always sincerely LOL when I read your stuff.
PS- I admire the wife for going after her bachelors! That's something on my to-do list as well.

7:44 AM  
Blogger John said...

Thanks. This blog is pretty much my humor/writing/frustration/therapy outlet, so that's pretty much what you get.

The wife and her degree....let's just say it wasn't an easy choice. Her employer pretty much twisted her arm and made her go back to school if she wants any kind of future there. She would have been happy to get through retirement and not go back to school. She's doing it, but begrudgingly. On the good side though...she may not be doing it with a smile on her face, but she totaly rocks at it. So far, all A's.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home