Wednesday, July 30, 2008

back to golf

I'm actually playing tonight...the $5 9 hole evening good deal after work. I used to do this thing every week in years past, but real exercise and other obligations have gotten in the way this year and I haven't played all that much...and I miss it.

Let's face facts. I've never been very good at it. Still, I enjoy getting out there and playing the game. I like hitting the little white ball through manicured fairways...into the trees, to try to pull off the shot between two of them that, if I'm really lucky, could get to the green. I really enjoy the few times I actually pull that shot off. I like seeing the shots I make that look like a real golfer made them. It's fun.

The problem with golf, as I see it, is it's a black hole of time. It just sucks time in and doesn't let go. You need to be able to invest most of a day to go play. Sure, you can get up before dawn and be done at noon, but if you do that, you aren't getting the whole golf experience. You play 18 holes, and that's it. Part of golf, for most guys, is the camaraderie. You spend some quality time with your buddies, swapping stories and afterwards, have a beer or two telling more stories. Note, I said a beer or two. That doesn't mean you go home drunk. Still, to have that kind of experience, you leave the house and nobody should reasonably expect to see you for a good six or seven hours. For me, that kind of time doesn't come easy, which is why I haven't played 18 holes since last year.

Tonight I'll get a little of that...like golf lite. I'll get to play 9 holes after work, spend some time with buddies and have...maybe one beer. I'll be home by 9:00. It's a nice compromise, and at least lets me play a little of a game I miss.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home