Thursday, September 10, 2009

Jamaican me crazy

The youngster came home from school about a week ago, and we had dinner. Having dinner together has always been a staple for us. From what I hear, it isn't with everybody, and I've always taken it for granted. I'm starting to realize the value of doing that, but I'm also realizing I'm getting off track.

At dinner, he got all serious and I was thinking...oh shit, what happened at school that you're telling me about before I get either the phone call or e-mail. It was nothing like that though. It was...every year the school organizes a few mission trips to some impoverished part of the Caribbean. This year, he really really really wants to go. The cost is...well, it ain't cheap. They'd be doing some undetermined (as of yet) project in a very poor part of Jamaica. Last year they built a house for 8 people. It'd be something like that. Lots of prayer. Lots of reflection. Lots of work.

I was proud that he'd want to go. maybe taking him with me to do community service in Jacksonville's poorer neighborhoods is rubbing off. Still, it's not something we can just write a check for. This will require some sacrifice and budgeting.

Last night there was a meeting, for families with kids considering this trip. My main concern was the only one that had been presented to me so far. Cost. I hadn't even given thought to the other possibilities, and the meeting opened my eyes. There was discussion about disease, injury, civil unrest, and other possibilities and how those get handled. The fact that no matter what you do, there is an element of risk involved that you have to be willing to accept, was borne out. One parent asked how much the kids are supervised when there's free time, and they go out on the town on their own. The guy laughed. He said, first, there is some free time, but the days are pretty packed and it's not like the kids have time to go out on the town much. The few times they do, though, they're chaperoned.

Another part that became evident was, just because you raise your hand and say, "I want to" doesn't mean you go. About 35 kids get this opportunity, and I saw about 50 at the meeting. There is a selection process, and the first criteria is trustworthiness. On that point I have little concern for the youngster. The second though, is grades. It's been well documented here that the youngster struggles with ADD, and his grades have been an issue. This year he seems to have matured quite a bit, and the grades are better, but still under constant surveillance. If there's one place in the selection process where someone else will go and he won't, this is probably it.

I want him to go. I think it'd be an amazing experience for him. If he gets selected, we'll do whatever we have to, to get him there. I'm just crossing my fingers that he doesn't get chopped off at the knees before he even gets started. I guess I need to figure out that whole passport process. I've been all over the place, but that was in my former military life, and a passport wasn't required. Now, I need to figure out how you get one of those, and all I know so far is...the post office can help.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home