Monday, April 11, 2005

driving range honkers

As you might have guessed, I play golf...badly. To the end of trying to play golf better, I spend an occasional afternoon at the driving range. OK, pretty much once a weekend. I don't have enough time in my current life to play a round of golf every weekend (more like once a month if I'm lucky), and I'm trying to get better at it in spite of that. Therefore the range is my best option. It only requires about an hour's investment where a round takes more like 4 or 5, and if there are after golf beers, the time requirement can extend indefinitely, but I digress.

Every time I go to the driving range, at least one person honks their horn as they drive by. They do this because they are non-golfers and someone at some point told them noise bothers golfers, so they honk. To be honest, a honking horn from the highway doesn't bother anyone's swing. It just becomes part of the road noise and you tune it out. Think about it. A car alarm behind Tiger Woods - OK, maybe that's an issue. The talent level at your local driving range - a honking horn driving by is the least of our worries. We have at least 50 things past and present instructors, professional and otherwise, have told us about how to correct our swing going through our tiny little heads. If we were to the point where we even heard your honking horn, we wouldn't be on that driving range, so you and your horn aren't an issue. What bothers me more than the honking itself is the mentality behind it. Why does anyone feel the need to do that? I understand that some people think golf is stupid. I think NASCAR's stupid, but I don't stand out by I-95 giving people the finger as they head to Daytona for the 500. Whatever floats their boat is fine with me and the more of them there are out there, the more tee times are available for me. The fact that we all don't like or do the same things is not a bad thing. So what is it about golf that really pisses some people off? I have had people I didn't know ride by a golf course while I was playing and scream 'fuck you' at us. Why is that? Now, if they did know me, I'd understand. At least then I could attribute it to someone who knows my game and knows how much business I have being on a real golf course, but that wasn't the case. I don't care if they dislike golf. Nobody is making them play. I just don't get the hatred to the point where people feel it necessary to disrupt someone else while they do something they enjoy.

2 Comments:

Blogger S.S. said...

You must really like your golf. Because so far this is the longest blog you ever posted.

8:15 AM  
Blogger John said...

Actually, the red state/blue state thing is longer, I think, but still, you'd be correct, I do like golf, though it ranks below the movie Casablanca, really good chocolate and a few other things.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home