Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Here's to you, Mrs. Robinson

Anne Bancroft, aka Mrs. Robinson of the Graduate fame, passed away Monday, a victim of cancer. She did a whole lot of other things in her acting career, but that role, immortalized by Simon and Garfunkel, was the one that stayed with me, even if it was slightly before my time.

For me (when I was one) and a whole lot of other adolescent boys who watched the Graduate, she was the ultimate in the "why doesn't that shit ever happen to me" sentiment. Instead of fumbling through the awkwardness of first sexual experiences and wondering if you're doing it right, and if you're any good at it, wouldn't it be nice to have an older woman grab you by the hips and smooth out the rough spots in that road and enjoy the ride? She was the older woman seductress we all wanted, and probably the epitome of "be careful what you wish for" as well. After all, it backfired for young Benjamin Braddock (Dustin Hoffman) in the movie, when she sabotaged his relationship with her daughter. Yes, I got through it all ok without such a woman, but still would have enjoyed the experience. Hell, way back when, I craved the experience, but it was a craving left unfulfilled. We don't all get so lucky.

In any case, God bless you please, Mrs. Robinson. You've joined Joltin' Joe in a far better place than just Simon and Garfunkel trivia. Thanks for the memories.

3 Comments:

Blogger S.S. said...

You were 1 years old? Dustin Hoffman must be really old, then! Time certainly flies....

5:10 AM  
Blogger John said...

When I said I was one, I didn't mean one year old. I meant when I was an adolescent boy. You're right though. Dustin Hoffman is in his 60's I think, although as I inch closer to that mark, I cease to think of it as "really old."

7:44 AM  
Blogger S.S. said...

Oh ok, that sounds right then.

Nah, you're still very young, John. People are only as old as they feel.

4:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home