Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Napoleon Dynamite and bikes

I don't really get it. Maybe the stupid movie is growing on me, because while there is no doubt it is a stupid movie, I find myself quoting the thing. It does have some interesting one liners when used in and out of context. The fact that none of them can be taken seriously helps. I also find myself remembering pieces and laughing...harder than I did the first time, as if it needs time to sink in.

Last night I went bike riding. It was supposed to be a ride with my son, who is hinting he needs a new bike. He's learning a hard lesson on the bike thing that I'll get back to, but anyway, he decided to ditch the bike and roller blade instead. So I'm riding my bike and he's roller blading and he grabs the back of my pants and starts using me to pull him along, and comes out with..."Can you pull me into town?", from the scene where Napoleon rides his bike and tows Kip behind him on roller blades.

It has to stop, or maybe not.

The bike thing.

Last year we decided my son was outgrowing his bike, and I was going to get him a new one for his birthday. So I announced, "You're outgrowing your bike and we're going to get you an new one for your birthday. Decide what you want." He saw something on television and decided that's what he wanted...a new Schwinn Stingray.

So, after lots of "are you sure" talks, that's what we bought. I tried to talk him into a mountain bike or something he could learn to do tricks on with pegs, or just something more practical, but this was oh so cool, and he had to have it...and it was cool....for about two months. After two months, he realized it doesn't go as fast as a bike with gears (like his friends have) where you sit more upright. It has but one purpose - to look cool when you ride it. It can't be taken over any sweet jumps, and you can't ride no hands. It cruises nice for short trips, but it hurts your butt after a while. Now, it sits in the garage and doesn't move, while he uses his old small bike. Now, he has learned, he wants a bigger bike that fits him better, that goes faster and has shocks for the off road and jumping stuff...and dad's not buying. I don't buy a new bike every year and besides, we just bought him a computer. The kid is far from deprived. He's doing odd jobs in the neighborhood (house/pet sitting while people go on vacation) saving money and will eventually buy it himself, but it won't be the bike he could have had if he had listened the first time.....oh well.

1 Comments:

Blogger S.S. said...

The bike does look cool, though. Look like a motorless harley Davidson.

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home