Wednesday, October 19, 2005

sleepwalking

Well, so much for what kids know.

We went to the fields for the league designated here as league-B last night. First thing I noticed is...we are spoiled. The batting cages could use a bit of work. Throwing to the kids in those things, you're taking your life in your hands. The netting between the two sections needs a bit of work and yeah, you could get hit if your head isn't on a swivel the entire time, even if you aren't physically in the cage.

Next came the game, which was actually pretty good. Their field is slightly larger than ours with the pitcher's mound back 5 more feet. We had a few kids pitching for the first time and a few kids playing new positions, and it was very competitive. The good guys won 5-4. Talking to one of the coaches from the other team, it seems they were very short of coaches for the fall, and they asked one guy if he'd step up. He said yes, only if he could cherry pick his players. Right there I'd go looking for someone else, but they said OK! Now his team is running roughshod over their league. They were not the team we played, however. The team we played wasn't all that bad and managed to stay right with us, and my eyes aren't a radar gun, but their pitchers were throwing a tad faster than the reported 20 m.p.h. We won it in the top of the 6th, and almost lost it in the bottom. I don't know what that says about them, or us.

It was cool, because at the end of the game, one guy from their bleachers actually came up to us and thanked us for going up to their place and filling out their schedule, and complimented our guys on a real good game. Sportsmanship, what a concept.

The youngster was all pleased because he got slid up to second in the batting order. What did he do with it though? He walked...then walked...then walked...and then he walked. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure each time he took the count to 3 and 2 before taking his base, and almost took out the opposing coaches on one foul ball, causing one to fall off his stool in front of the dugout (still almost - no points this round), but it was a walk filled evening for him. Not as satisfying as hitting, but still better than striking out. I think in all cases he stole 2nd and 3rd during the next batter's at bat. In two he scored. As I predicted, the game ended at 10:00, with him in bed by 11:00. This morning none of us are exactly awake.

So again, I guess I need to be careful about what I write, because things seem to be going my way (if you count me hedging my bets by presenting more than one scenario). Our guys did get surprised, but not overwhelmed. So now, about those lotto tickets....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home