Monday, November 07, 2005

the weekend in retrospect

The baseball game Saturday morning - I'm just glad the whole fiasco is over. Yes, it was nice to ten-run-rule the Phillies and get out of there early, but it's nicer that it's just done. The two people that really needed to get the whole message from all the league people that showed up surprisingly weren't there...the 12 year old rules expert and his father. Apparently they were on a trip to Indiana or someplace like that. It did upset me a little when the league guys talked to our players in our dugout, they said that our guys shouldn't have responded when they were taunted...that they should have just let it go and not given the situation a chance to escalate. Well, in fact, they didn't respond. They were the epitome of class through the whole thing. After the league guys left the dugout, they were asking each other and us what they did wrong, and nobody had an answer except, "Well, they had to say that." No they didn't. But it's done and I'm grateful. I'll admit that I'm also happy that it ended my way, because as we all know, it's all about me. The lottery, however, remains uncooperative.

The rest of Saturday was spent doing yard stuff and shopping. I've been putting off the hedges for too long. For a while I was using the lame excuse that I wanted them to look scary for Halloween. Nobody was buying it, but I kept trying all the same. Well, time has taken even that sliver away from me, so I had to get busy. We look far more presentable now.

Sunday, the Jaguars won, which is a good thing. They made it interesting, which isn't such a good thing. I have been patient with Byron for the last two years, and hoped that the 'steady improvement' would continue, and I'll admit that he looked good in the second half, but...I'm starting to believe the doubters who think he's not the guy to take us to the promised land. The first half was a nightmare. All I can say is I can't remember Mark Brunell playing that bad, and Jack was willing to replace him with a first round draft pick. Maybe it's selective memory kicking in, enhanced by the fact that Brunell's playing like a man inspired in Washington, but I watched Leftwich in that first half and just kept shaking my head. It was like watching a train wreck. Then I came home and watched the Redskins play Sunday night, and saw the man we ran out of town. The difference was all too clear.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

again, I haven't seen enough to make an assessment. Is it his decision-making abilities that are flawed (because that is the true difference between greatness and mediocrity in the quaterback position) or is it the scheme, the weapons (or lack thereof) and/or the protection?

The problem in NE this year is the protection. Tom just can't BE Tom without some degree of competence on the OL, which we are not getting this year. The Jags overcame their history of poor luck with houston yesterday (in the end, that is- I was not too pleased with some of the score updates I saw on the bottom of the screen yesterday.) I and the whole group of 1974 Dolphins are hoping the history of luck will stand strong tonight in Foxboro against the Colts... we shall need it.

3:50 PM  
Blogger John said...

Good Luck tonight Rebecca. You have a lot of intangibles going for you. here's hoping they add up to something tangible.

Byron - it's a lot of things that just aren't there...yet. Guys are wide open and he's throwing to them, but missing badly, or firing the ball to them at the speed of sound (I know this because I got hit with the shock wave) when they're 5 yards away. So there we have accuracy and touch.

Then there's the part of just not seeing the open man all the time. I know nobody sees him all the time, but I guess I'm asking for more than I'm getting.

Then there's the mobility, or lack thereof. I don't mind that he's slow. You can be a slow quarterback, but if you're going to be a successful slow quarterback, there other stuff above has to go away.

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home