Friday, March 10, 2006

a goblet of Dad time

Some self-indulgent back patting...

Last night I went home from work ready to park in front of the tube. The only show I make an effort to watch (My Name is Earl) was coming on, but it would be splitting time with the Big East Championship, as my Wildcats were to play Rutgers. On the radio on the way home, I heard Syracuse had already removed one of out major obstacles to winning the tournament...the pesky Huskies of UConn, although I was hoping to see another Villanova/UConn contest before the big dance. In any case, expectations were high. Note the word 'were'.

I got home, we had dinner, and the youngster comes up to me with his new Harry Potter DVD and asks if I would pleeeeease watch it with him. So, from 7:00 till after 10:00, we sat in the living room with the lights off, and popcorn (our version of a theater) and watched the Goblet of Fire. Now, I'm not going to pretend I suffered through it. I enjoyed the movie just as much as I did when we saw it in the theater. I didn't get to see Villanova take down Rutgers or Earl though. Not that big a deal. I'll watch Villanova play Pitt, their next opponent and probably toughest enroute to the Championship, if they get past them. If they can beat Pitt, the winner of Syracuse/Georgetown should be an easier game, but you never know. I'm getting waaayyyy ahead of myself. The dad time is a bit more precious than whatever might have been on television.

Tomorrow the youngster's baseball team plays one of my car pool Pittsburgh Steeler fan's team, so we'll be at odds for car pool bragging rights. It'll be fun.

We're one week and a weekend away from the beginning of Players Championship week. As usual (though I never understood why, and still don't), the youngster's school has that Monday off, which works well for kids. It's a practice round day, which means the golfers are far more willing to stop and talk to kids and sign autographs (unless of course, their last name happens to be Woods). It's a far more relaxed atmosphere than during the competitive rounds and not nearly as crowded. Also as usual, I will round up a few other dads to help with supervision and transportation, and take as many kids as we can handle to go autograph hounding. OK, yeah, we think it's cool too, taking our kids' picture with Ernie Els. It's about time to get organized.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home