Thursday, August 10, 2006

walkin' the walk

WARNING: golf post to follow

I started playing golf (or something resembling it) about 10 years ago when I started my current job. It involves golf, and the people I work for, and with, thought it'd be a good idea to learn, so they made it a cheap and easy thing to do, and I had no objections.

Since then, I've played, occasionally, but never enough to be very good. I'm comfortable with where I am, ability-wise. I have fun, but I'm not going to 'wow' anybody. I've also said before in this blog that I enjoy golf, but have a hard time calling it a sport. It's a great activity, but calls for about as much physical exersion as bowling, which I also have trouble considering a sport. Any activity where you can compete and have a beer and cigarette while doing so...I'm sorry, I don't get past that easily. Since then, every golfing experience I had also included a cart...until yesterday.

Last night, after work, I walked 9 holes in 90° heat with my bag on my back. It was a blast! I enjoyed myself and got some exercise, and even played half decent. I did sweat my butt off, too. Am I ready to call golf a sport? No, not yet. I'm ready to call hiking a sport, made more difficult if you're humping a bag of clubs. Playing golf while doing that is still an activity. I will call it fun though. It's a great way to get some exercise. I'll definitely do it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home