Wednesday, November 29, 2006

the Hybrid Christmas

I know what I'm getting for Christmas. I know this because I ordered it. My Christmas present will be the Callaway X Hybrid 3h golf club with a stiff Graffalloy Comp NT Hybrid shaft with a slightly bigger than normal grip. It supposedly ships from the factory tomorow.

I know it takes away from the spirit of Christmas, but here's the reality. The wife would like to get me something for Christmas that I will really like, and that there is a real possibility that I will use. I love playing golf, even if golf doesn't love me back, so she will buy me something golf related. She has in the past. She will in the future. Also in the past, she has invariably messed up in the process because....she knows very little about golf. Therefore she spends more than she should on something I probably won't use. The best example was a range finder. It was a little scope looking thing that was supposed to tell you how far it is to the pin, based on how big the pin looked in the viewfinder. You just look in the little scope, put the bottom of the flag stick on a line and the distance listed at the top of the flag would tell you...oh wait a minute....how many times can you actually see the bottom of the flag stick? especially from the woods, where I play? Seriously though, even in the middle of the fairway, you don't get to see the bottom of the pin very often. You have hills and sand traps and all manner of stuff between you and it. The thing is worthless. By the time you can see the bottom of that stick, you know you're inside 50 yards. You can check if you like. The sucker is deadly accurate.

So we come to this year and the hybrid. Bad golfers are nototious for not hitting long irons very well. The long irons are (more or less) the 3, 4 and 5 irons. Club makers have an answer for the bad golfer. It's called the hybrid. Same kind of distance. Easier to hit. When the youngster and I trekked to the World Golf Village to catch Happy Feet, I went to the golf shop there and hit one for a while (because we had to buy tickets a good hour and a half before the show to get in, and needed to kill time). Felt real good, but you hit into a net, so you really can't tell. I started thinking...I get a discount on equipment at work, so I figured I could get it there cheaper and exactly how I want it...great idea for Christmas. The wife can get me something I'll actually try to use and I get to see if the whole hybrid concept works for me. It ought to. It felt good. I fit the 'bad golfer' mold. I'll spend lots of range time with it and hopefully, it helps my game. We shall see....after Christmas of course. Yes, I get to custom order it from work. Yes it'll be here well before the 25th...but...it's still a Christmas present.

It's either that or a ball engraver. At the rate I put 'em in the water, the last thing I need to be doing it wasting time pressing my initials in golf balls before I send 'em swimming. This toy, however, should let me launch them to a far deeper spot in the pond.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home