Tuesday, November 21, 2006

shots leading up to Thanksgiving

The Jaguars beat the Giants last night. It's true, the Giants are about as injury riddled as the Jaguars. Maybe more so. Still, how can this be the same team that couldn't stay with the Texans last week? I've pretty much given up on trying to figure out which Jaguars team will show up to play each week. Time to just sit back and be surprised on a weekly basis.

Jack Del Rio wore some Reebok sport coat at the game. It gave him more TV time but other than that looked a bit out of place, especially on a very chilly night. According to an informal local radio poll this morning, one guy noted his eyes said "deer in headlights" every time the camera went to him, but the look said "penguin" sooo....penguin in headlights? In the same informal poll though, most of the female population gave the look a thumbs up, calling it "hot." The wife and mom-in-law concurred.

Double D broke his leg and is gone for the season. Yet another key guy/defensive leader lost 'til next year, and that hurts big time. If Mike P wasn't a big enough loss to the defense, this one makes it a whole lot worse.

The anouncers spent a vast majority of the first half interviewing to Ronde Barber, about growing up with his twin brother Tiki who was having a terrible night as the Giants running back. They spent the majority of the second half interviewing rapper Jay-Z about his comeback. I'm not sure if anyone informed Theisman and Kornheiser there was a football game going on in the background.

Brother-in-law comes down for Thanksgiving most years, and will again this year. He road trips from Columbus Ohio, and usually hits the beach. This year, it's not going to get much over 60°. We'll see if he still tries the beach. I wouldn't put it past him, but I'll bet his skin color when he gets back is closer to blue than tan.

Whether he beaches or not, I'll bet we get into a spirited discussion of whether or not Michigan should still play Ohio State for the college football national championship. My personal opinion is no, but he's turned into a Big 10 snob, so I'm assuming he'll take the opposing position. That ship sailed. Michigan had their opportunity and came up short. Give another deserving one loss team a shot. I'm not sure which one though. Yes, Michigan, some teams still have tough games left and aren't sitting on their asses expecting that title game to be handed to them. Not only that, mine is the opinion you should fear, because I don't really have a dog in the hunt. I'd like to see Florida there, but I don't think they will win the SEC, so I don't think they'll be there. If they do though, I think they deserve a chance. Maybe Arkansas. I think the winner of USC/Notre Dame deserves a shot if that winner has one loss. Maybe Lousiville. There are several teams that should be given the opportunity...the same one you already had and blew. Let the season play out and see who else is left standing.

Speaking of standing, I went out Saturday night at 11:45 and looked for the meteor shower. In 10 or 15 minutes, I saw two shooting stars. The first was pretty cool, and happened immediately after I walked outside. That, of course, led me to want to look for more. The second was very short lived. There was probably a third, but it was out of the corner of my eye, so I'll call it unconfirmed. After 15 minutes and not much activity, I got impatient and decided I was cold....and went back in. I know....lightweight.

Speaking of Saturday night, the youngster and I went to see Happy Feet at the World Golf Village IMAX theater. Very cute movie. There's a predictable "everyone's special in their own way" message. It had some funny parts, but for good animated movies, Shrek blows it away. Still, if you're looking for "cute", this movie is dripping with it. Worth the price of admission? The youngster thought so (although in his case, that price came out of dad's pocket). My opinion? Not so much.

Michael Richards (aka Cosmo Kramer) reminded me that I'm incredibly naive when it comes to racism. I tend to believe that we have that whole race thing figured out and, other than out and out loonies, and those living in backwoods ignorance, nobody really buys that anyone is better than anyone else based on skin color. Then I catch a clip of his tirade on the morning news today. He's sorry. I'm shocked.

As for the actual shot leading up to Thanksgiving...I got my flu shot today. Let's hope that doesn't mean I'll feel like crap for Thanksgiving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home