Friday, June 01, 2007

do you believe in..ummm...Magic?

So Billy Donovan is leaving the Florida Gators to coach the Orlando Magic. I will say I'm surprised. I'm not shocked, and while most Gator fans are upset, they shouldn't be. You guys had a very successful coach who took your team to two national championships in the last two years. Of course the next level is coming looking for him. Orlando works out well for him too. It's close enough that he doesn't even have to move his family if he doesn't want to.

He'd be nuts not to give the Magic a shot. Even if he crashes and burns, monitarily, he's set for life. He could walk back into Gainsville and the Gators would welcome him with open arms. So would just about any college program in the country. If he succeeds, he can be one of the only guys to win basketball championships on the college and pro level. Of course, his kids will love the new Universal Harry Potter theme park, too. I'm sure that swayed the decision.

Now, will that make a lot of new Orlando Magic fans? I'm not sure. I, for one, follow college basketball quite a bit, but have no interest in the NBA. I'll watch an NBA game if I'm in the gym and it's on, but I won't specifically go looking for one. I have no favorite team. I don't like the hip hop/"gangsta" culture the NBA embraces. I don't like the fact that the NBA considers it OK for its players to use illegal drugs. I don't like the "there's no team in I" attitude of many of the players. If that's your thing or you don't mind that aspect, go for it. It's just not for me. This Donovan move won't change that. I'm not that much of a Gator fan. I followed them and liked pulling for those kids..because it was those kids the last few years. They were on TV here a lot and you just felt like you knew them...and they were good kids, and Donovan seems like a good guy. Once they all split up in the NBA though...I won't even know where they went.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home