Wednesday, May 30, 2007

if your friends are there then everything's alright

I hope today will be a lighter highway
For friends are found on every road - Elton John

I cannot tell you how long I've been searching for those lyrics, or more to the point, that song. I had heard it on the radio in my teens and never really since. It's not a particularly long song. It's simple. Most of the meaning in it can be found in those first two lines. It was just something I remembered and really liked. Whenever I'd think of it, in a music store or Walmart, I'd pick up whatever they had by Elton John (because as I remembered it, it sure sounded like him, but I wasn't sure - for all I knew, it was someone like Loudon Wainwright), looking for the song I thought was called Friends, and as it turns out, I was right, but I wasn't having a lot of luck. I'd stick to the older stuff because, as I said, I heard it on the radio in my teens and as the youngster is quick to remind me...I'm older. I could only sorta remember some of the lyrics, and it was a real fuzzy sorta - so Google-ing on what I remembered wasn't cutting it. I'd search Elton John discs online occasionally when I thought of it, but never with any success...until about a month ago. I was doing a nostalgic BMG music run ('best of' compilations from Todd Rundgren, the Pretenders, the Motels and Nick Lowe)...where if you're going to buy, you want to buy in bulk to save money in the long run, and again it hit me to try to find it. Lo and behold...success. They had something called Chronicles Series: Rare Masters, and I looked and there among the tracks was Friends. I listened to the clip and...yessssssssssssssssssss, that was it! No, I'm not crazy. The song really does exist. It arrived last night and I listened to it on the way to work. Maybe it was just the whole "Eureka, I found it!" thing, but it literally brought tears to my eyes.

On a side note, it's a two disc set I haven't been all the way through, but the track just before Friends is a slower, far more simple version of Grey Seal (compared to what's on Goodbye Yellow Brick Road), which I like a lot.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home