Wednesday, April 16, 2008

just around the corner

It's coming...only a few more days, and I'm psyched!

This Saturday, the youngster and I will bike 100 km in the Katie Ride for Life. For those of you, like me, who are metrically challenged, it's a little over 62 miles. While I won't say it's a herculean task, 62 miles is still a pretty damn long ride, but it will be through one of the more scenic areas around here..Amelia Island, Talbot Island, Fort George Island and the like. As you may guess with all the island talk, it's a route very close to the beach.

For me though, it's more about doing something like this with the youngster. Yes, we'll do the MS ride later in the year, which will be a longer, more difficult trek, but this is the first thing like this we've done together. It's the first time we've done something physically challenging like this, where there will be times where we have to encourage each other to press on, where we're almost on equal footing. He's growing up, and it's a bit like he's an adult, albeit on training wheels...but they're one in front of the other, instead of side by side. So far the weather looks like it'll cooperate, and as much as I know it'll be a challenge, I'm really looking forward to congratulating the youngster at the finish line, and giving him a huge hug.

ps. I didn't know this until two weeks ago, but if you go to the link and learn about the Katie Ride and the Katie Caples Foundation, you'll learn that it was started by the parents of a high school girl who didn't survive an accident, and donated many of her organs to others. The part I didn't know...the accident occurred after a charity walk, and my next door neighbor's daughter was not only in the same walk (and a classmate of Katie's), but got hurt in the exact same accident. She, fortunately, survived and is doing fine.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger JessieE said...

Go Lumberyard, and Little Wood!!!

7:18 AM  
Blogger JessieE said...

I guess it would have been more appropriate to say:

"Go Lumberyard, and Little Wood Pile!!!"

My apologies to the Little Wood Pile.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Lynsey said...

Yeah, I could do that ride in 30 minutes flat. :-)
Good luck!!! And good for you- the world needs more people such as yourself.

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home