Monday, October 06, 2008

the house of cards comes tumbling down...on national TV

Last night was difficult in the Lumberyard.

I went to the Jaguars/Steelers game, pretty much knowing what to expect and hoping I was wrong.

On the good side, I'd be meeting my college roommate there. We don't live all that far apart, but don't manage to see each other all that often, and this would be a chance to catch up and spend some time together. Sometimes I have to sit back and realize how lucky I am, in the friends department. I still have quite a few friendships that have lasted 25 year or more...high school and college friends, Navy buddies, and the like...and I need to appreciate how lucky I am to have that.

On the bad side, we were meeting at the Jaguars/Steelers game, which looked like a recipe for disaster. It's always a very physical game when these teams meet, and right now, the Jaguars just don't bring that kind of game. The offensive line is still depleted, leaving our running game toothless. Our passing game is still average at best. Our defense can't get to the quarterback, making it hard on a secondary that is also injured. Add to that the fact that it was a Steelers game, with the requisite obnoxious Steelers crowd that shows up at every Steelers game...and the fact that the Steelers have lost the last 4 games they played against the Jaguars. These people could smell the blood in the water....and to be honest, so could I. The Jaguars have trouble selling out the stadium for games, so not to worry, Steeler Nation comes down from Pennsylvania and does it for us. I don't know how those people afford to travel like that for regular season away games, but they do, and because they do, you can imagine the passion that goes with that kind of coin outlay. I have to admire their commitment, even if I question their priorities.

The game was every bit as frustrating as I thought it could be. All my fears lay naked on the field. Yes, the Jaguars led...for a lot of the game, but behind the score was a performance that left me shaking my head...and in the end, the smoke and mirrors couldn't hold up forever.

Yes, we will eventually get people back who are hurt, and it will get better. The question is, can it get better soon enough to make a difference in the season? I can only hope...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home