Monday, January 05, 2009

the concept of Christmas presents

Once again, I've been proven to be wrong. It's not a big deal. It happens on occasion. This one, though, hit me in the "long standing belief" part of my brain, so it was a little shocking.

For the longest time, I thought the concept of Christmas presents was to go out and find something you believe the person you are getting a gift for would actually like. The amount of time and effort you put into such a search might be proportional to how much you give a shit, or you may know in an instant what the person would want. The end result though, was giving them something you believe they would enjoy on some level. Even a gag gift is supposed to produce a chuckle.

So it was with some consternation that I unwrapped one of my presents...a tie. I'm used to getting at least one tie for Christmas/birthdays. It wasn't the tie that made me wonder. It was the color/theme. It's a gaudy tie dyed blue and orange, with black Florida Gator logos all over it.

As I have mentioned before, the youngster is a large Florida Gator fan. I...am not. It's not that I dislike them. Come this Thursday night, I'll actually root for them when they play Oklahoma for the national championship. Should they lose, however, I won't lose any sleep that night. Likewise, if they win, I won't be jumping up and down in some celebratory fashion. More than anything, I'm just hoping for a good game.

So, the youngster got me this flamboyant Gator tie, and he's all happy about it....happier than I'll ever be. I am wearing it today though, and he's even happier about that. Call it my gift to him.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Lynsey said...

aaawwww. That was cute. Post a picture of it! :)

One year when my brother and I were younger, we gave my Dad an ID bracelet for xmas. My Dad is not a jewelry person- AT ALL, never even wore his wedding band much. That being said, you should've seen the look on his face when he opened this huge, silver, heavy, shiny piece of metal with the name PAT engraved on the front. He wore it a few times, which for him, was probably a few too many. Then just this year when I was home visiting, he took it out to show everyone for a good laugh. I was just happy he still has it. :)

2:04 PM  
Blogger John said...

Maybe this Friday. I was told I have to wear it if the Gators win. That sorta gives me a reason to pull for Oklahoma.:)

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home