Monday, March 30, 2009

Holy Carp...what do we do now?

I'll admit, when I wrote this a while back, I had no idea that Villanova would actually meet North Carolina in the final four. I had hopes of the elite 8 and thought if we could get there, if our opponent would be Pitt, we stood a chance, only because we beat them in the regular season, even if it was in Philadelphia in front of a huge home crowd.

So here we are, going to Detroit for the NCAA championships, in the final four and playing the team everyone (including Barak...who hasn't failed me yet, so I still have that going for me) expects to take the whole thing. It sure feels like the last time Villanova made it there, when nobody expected us to do anything and we took it all, but that was 1985. It's still called one of the greatest upsets in sports. I don't know if that kind of magic's in the air in Detroit this year. My unrealistic expectations are already met. I hate sounding like the 'just happy to be here' guy, but I am. Oh, I want to see my little David kick Goliath's butt, and I'll be ecstatic if it happens....but I won't be all that shocked if it doesn't. That's just me bracing for disappointment though. The team? They'd better be damn sure they're going to win.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Painter Lady said...

If it's any consolation, Al is worried that 'Nova just may beat the Heels! He thinks that your team is a threat... and is slightly worried. I do know this..it will be an explosive game to watch.

:)

2:07 PM  
Blogger John said...

I think we can win. I wouldn't watch the game if I honestly thought we couldn't, and I'm trying to get together with my old roommate at a drinking establishment with wide screen TV's someplace between his abode and mine. I'm hopeful, but I'm bracing for disappointment.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home