Thursday, June 18, 2009

facebook

I'm not a facebook person. I'm not a myspace or twitter person either. I guess I'm not much of an online social networker. This little rant factory called a blog is about as far as I go. I've got enough shit going on as it is without another place in cyberspace to keep up with. As it is, if you read here much, you've seen the numbers of blog entries take a fair dive over the last 6 months or so. That's partially because I don't have that much to say, and partially because I just don't have the time.

One of our friends, though, is a facebook fanatic. She has her page and shares pictures with the world through it and keeps in tough with friends and family around the country. She loves it, and thinks the wife and I should too. She's also one of the wife's best friends. Her kids are friends with the youngster. Her husband is my bike riding buddy. Every time we see her, she asks when we're going to get on facebook. For the last year the wife had school as an excuse....too busy with school to get into all that. Well, school's over now, and we're back to...when are you going to get on facebook. I think they have some kind of recruiting contest going on, and that's part of the agenda.

The wife...really has no desire, but doesn't want to hurt her friend's feelings. The wife sees computers as a necessary evil and the web as a place to find a menu for a restaurant if we've never been there. It's not a social outlet, and she doesn't want it to be. If she's on the web for more than 15 consecutive minutes, it's like alarms go off and she needs to come up for air. She sees no reason to have a page on the web to communicate with a friend she sees or talks to on the phone at least three times a week.

I...just can't be bothered. I don't need another thing to keep me busy. I have enough of those as it is. I see it as a black hole to suck in a bunch of time I just don't have.

The youngster...has a facebook page and expends constant effort making it "better". I check it out every now and then (although I just let slide the comment from some lady gaga girl from school who wants to "ride your disco stick."). He keeps up with school friends with it.

Yesterday though, the youngster came home and said...Ms. Betty said she'd give me a $10 McDonalds gift card if I make facebook pages for you two, so I need some pictures. (Bribery - the tool of the desperate.) The wife immediately said, "No, you won't. I don't want one." Frankly. I'm pretty apathetic about it all. If he wants to put it out there, fine. I don't care if there's another place in cyberspace with my name and picture on it. I won't be maintaining it, or personalizing it, or spending the time to figure out what I can do with it though. Maybe he will.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger JessieE said...

That's just sad of Ms. Betty.

I have a facebook page, and I enjoy it, but geez ... bribing a kid to make one for his parents? That's just sad. Sad and pathetic. Sorry.

I say lose the apathy, Lumberyard, and say "no." Just to see what happens. :-)

11:28 AM  
Blogger John said...

I hear ya, Jess. It is pretty pathetic. Ms. Betty has her faults and this is one of them.

In my little 'pick your battles' world though, this doesn't warrant two minutes of effort. If the youngster wants to make a page for me, let him knock himself out. As long as I don't have to do anything with or about it, he could go find picture of a horse's ass and plaster it on there for all I care. It's just not very high on my 'worry about' list.

...and if it makes Ms. Betty's day, that's OK too.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Lynsey said...

I'm a huge fan of whatever keeps me close to family and friends from back home. Facebook has been a great way to share photos and life experiences with them that we wouldn't be able to otherwise.

that being said, it IS very time consuming and I often lie in bed at night and swear to spend less time on the computer. I didn't choose to be a stay-at-home-mom to sit on the computer all day, which is why my blog now suffers great. Once that little guy started walking, my life was basically over.

Anyway, it can be a really good tool, only if you want it to be!

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home