Monday, June 08, 2009

in some ways, I'm still a newbie (but in this case, it saved me $10)

My bike's in the shop. After the 100 mile trek in the blistering heat, I decided to send it in for a tune up.

I brought the bike to the shop last Wednesday, hoping to get it back before the weekend so I could ride Saturday or Sunday. It's the same shop I always take it to...also where we bought the youngster's bike.They said they were swamped, and I wouldn't get it until this week. OK, not that big a deal.

So today, they guy working on my bike called me. The conversation went something like...

bike guy: Have you ever changed the chain on this bike?
me: No.
bike guy (sounding a little incredulous): You've got 5900 miles on this bike and you've never put a new chain on it?? (The "...you moron" was left off the end of the question, but it was definitely implied.)
me: Well, no. Why?
bike guy: Well, you should change the chain every 1500 to 2000 miles. Now, it's beyond replacement.
me: What does that mean...beyond replacement?

I'm thinking, that's what he'd do if it's in bad shape. He'd replace it. Beyond replacement sounded ominous.

bike guy: Well, if you change the chain every 1500 to 2000 miles, the rear cassette will last forever. If you don't change the chain though, the chain and cassette start to wear together. If I put a new chain on it now, the cassette will ruin it. You're at a decision point. You can either keep the chain and cassette combination you have until it breaks completely. If you do that, it'll just feel a bit rough until it fails. The other choice is to put a new chain on it, but you'd have to replace the cassette as well.
me: So, how much is that?
bike guy: The chain is $60. The cassette is $110.
me (the words "breaks completely" resonating in my brain with the accompanying picture of me stranded in the middle of nowhere with a busted chain): OK, I guess we go with the new stuff.

After I hung up, I did the math. If I'd have changed the chain every 2000 miles, I'd have spent $180 by now. More if I changed it every 1500 miles. As it is, I'm spending $170. By waiting until I had done irreparable damage, I saved $10. What a deal!

Also, after I hung up, and thought about it for a minute, I started to wonder. My bike has been to that shop for a couple of tune ups, and the wheel replacement after my New years Eve accident. So, this guy has seen that bike several times, and most of those after the bike had 2000 miles on it. Why was this the first time Mr. Incredulous asked me about the chain? I mean, how did we get to almost 6000 miles before he recommended that I get a new one?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

What? I'm sorry. I'm trying to wrap my brain around the idea of riding a bike for more than 10 miles let alone adding several zeroes at the end...

9:10 PM  
Blogger John said...

I know, it's a strange concept when you get hit with it out of the blue. When I started this bike riding thing two and a half years ago, I started riding between 10 and 15 miles, and gradually increased the mileage. I remember telling a friend that I planned on riding 150 miles in two days and he asked how far I had gone so far. I told him 15 miles. He asked, "Have you ridden a bike 25 miles before?" I said, "No, but I'm going to try."

The rest, as they say, is history.

Then, I look at those Lance Armstrong people. They make me look like a very slow amateur, maybe because I am.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Lynsey said...

LOL to Tracy's response. I feel the same! :-)

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home