Friday, June 26, 2009

Mikey Jackson

I don't like that anyone has to die. I mean, in John's world, we'd all live forever and stop aging at about 25 years old. Having said that, there are some celebrities that I'm sad to see go, and others rate little more than a shrug.

Michael Jackson falls into the latter category, and I don't know if that surprises anyone more than me. The reason I say that is...the world seems to be in mourning. It's splattered all over the front page of our paper. There's a tribute on the evening news. I enjoyed some of the guy's work, but I never counted myself as a huge fan. I don't own any Michael Jackson CDs, or albums for that matter. Still, I appreciated Thriller...the artistry of it. Maybe though, since I wasn't a huge fan, and then you throw all the "little boy" controversy on top of that, and when I think of Micheal Jackson, the term "greatness" doesn't exactly follow. I'm not really in mourning. There's no sense that the world lost someone of great magnitude. His family will miss him, as well they should. I won't. I can honestly say, after all the fanfare dies, I won't waste another minute thinking about Michael Jackson.

Like I said, I don't wish death on anybody, but Jackson's affects me about as much as some poor crack addict dying in a gang related shooting downtown.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger D said...

So the 5 Billion people world wide that have taken to the streets are all wrong, then.
I was no great MJ fan, either. But the more I find out about him and his life, the better he looks and the worse his detractors look.
Whatever you think of the man, he sold more records than Elvis or the Beatles. He deserves his props for that.

12:36 PM  
Blogger John said...

No, it doesn't make them wrong. It's not a right or wrong issue. It just means for them, he's relevant. For me, he's not. That's what I'm saying. It surprises me that someone who means so much to so many people means very little to me. I respect the artistry. I admire what he created. I'm just not really mourning his passing. I don't think my apathy necessarily makes me a detractor, either. I have nothing against Jackson. I just don't feel a great sense of loss. Just because I'm not a big supporter doesn't make me a detractor. There's miles of middle ground between the extremes, and somewhere in those miles lives apathy.

I wouldn't presume to think that makes the mourners or me wrong. Wrong doesn't have anything to do with it.

5 billion people...in the streets? Really? Considering there's 6.76 billion people in the whole freaking world, that's pretty impressive. Who did the head count? Must be one helluva traffic jam. Missed that on the evening news. Please, tell me there are porta-potties.

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home