Friday, July 10, 2009

Brüno

I may be all alone in the world or part of a very small minority, but I don't find Sacha Baron Cohen the least bit funny, and I'm a comedy guy. I love comedy.

I watched about 5 minutes of Borat, and found it boring and contrived. It tried way to hard to be funny and just wasn't. It was actually hard to watch. I sympathized with the people he was...abusing? exploiting? embarrassing? humiliating? making generally uncomfortable? I certainly wasn't laughing. The clips I've seen of Brüno don't give me any hope for improvement. I certainly wouldn't rush out to a theater to see it, and may pass even when it hits television. It just seems insulting, or embarrassing, neither of which is.....funny. In my mind, it's pretty analogous to making a movie of someone exploiting a mentally challenged person and calling it "Let's Laugh at the Retard." Before anyone gets all offended, please note I didn't call anyone mentally challenged or a retard, I'm just saying Cohen's work hits the same 'bad taste' chord in me for the same reasons that hypothetical movie would.

I guess to each his own. The youngster thinks it's hilarious. I heard someone say that, "a lot of people are just too stupid to get Sacha Baron Cohen." To that I say...so the high school sophomore thinks he's hilarious. The guy with a couple of college degrees, and daily works with computer logic that would make a lot of people's head spin, thinks he's pretentious, elitist, contrived and not at all humorous. Yeah, stupidity is my excuse.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Gucci Mama said...

Stupidity must be my excuse too. I really really hate his "humor". So if that makes me really really stupid, I can embrace that.

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home