Monday, October 18, 2010

don't ask, don't tell

Yes, it's baaaaack.

I've put this out there before and I'll do it again.

As a retired member of the U.S. Navy, I have NO problem dumping the military's 'don't ask, don't tell' policy. I see amazing cost savings and the elimination of several logistical hurdles on our ships if we can dump this nonsense.

First, you just have to accept the premise, if it's OK for me to sleep and shower with openly gay guys on a ship that doesn't see land for weeks at a time, it should be just as OK for me to sleep and shower with openly straight women. I mean, why not? I can believe that not all openly gay guys want to jump my bones. Likewise, I can accept that not all openly straight women want that privilege as well. If you argue that straight men are pigs and won't be able to resist a huge shower room full of women, I have to ask...are gay people somehow immune to the same kinds of urges? Do they possess some magical power that stops them from doing something stupid that straight people lost along the way? Tell me yes and I'm raising the bullshit flag. Tell me no, and I have to assume all our young men and women sans uniform are in complete control of their sexuality and it will have no bearing on their ability to coexist and fight a war, or make it through 3 weeks in the middle of the Indian Ocean between ports fighting boredom.

That being the case, there should now be no reason for separate quarters, or bathrooms/showers. All the reasons to build gender specific facilities are gone now. We can take that logistical headache and make it a piece of the past. We should be able to populate all our ships with people, generally in their 20's, men and women, openly gay and straight, nakedly coexisting, and it shouldn't cause any sexual issues whatsoever. The effect on their ability to fight a war and be singularly focused on that objective, for their own good and the welfare of everyone else on that ship, should be unaffected. To suggest otherwise would make me some right wing fanatical homophobe. I mean, that's what we're saying, isn't it?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home