Friday, April 22, 2005

and with the 21st pick in the draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select...

Who knows. Every year I follow this thing called the NFL Draft, because it is one of the biggest ways my favorite team gets new players. Every year I look at who's available, and have my dream list of who the Jaguars should take, and I can count on two fingers how often I've been right in the first round. After the first round it's more or less a crapshoot. Sure, there are people who spend a lot more time on it than I do and consequently guess right more often, but in the end, even the analysts on TV are often confounded by what teams actually do when their turn comes up to pick players. Teams are equally confounded when thay take certain players to fill needs, only to find out the person they picked isn't up to the task.

Once it's over, the following Monday teams are given grades by analysts from ESPN, Sports Illustrated, the press in major cities, the press in minor cities, and Joe my next door neighbor, on how well they did picking players when, in reality, nobody knows. The earliest you have any clue is in September when they actually line up and play. Some guys who end up being superstars don't even play their rookie year. It's not until two or three years later that you find out your pick was or wasn't what you thought it would be.

All this really doesn't have a point except, as little as it means, I hope next Monday everybody, including Joe, gives the Jaguars a grade of A, and I hope in September and three years from now, I still believe in that assessment.

For the record, I think they'll trade David Garrard and their 21st pick in the draft to another team who needs a quarterback of Garrard's talent level, for a pick higher in the draft so they can select cornerback Antrel Rolle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home