Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Meet the Fockers (Sideways revisited)

Last night's feature in our house for movie night was Meet the Fockers.

For my couple of dollars, a far more entertaining movie than Sideways. True, it's a different kind of comedy, and comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges, but this much I can say.

I laughed....a lot.
I wasn't ever tempted to grab the remote and wonder whether or not CSI was a rerun.

Both of these things are normally requirements when I'm watching a movie that's supposed to be funny for me to think it's good, and both of these requirements were sorely lacking with Sideways.

Meet the Fockers was a very cleverly written movie that is flat out funny. Dustin Hoffman as the groom's father does an amazing job, but then, everybody in this movie does.

Yes, some of the premises in this movie are just as inconceivable as those in Sideways, but instead of handcuffing the comedic value, they enhance it. Nobody insists on bringing their dog into someone's RV, especially once told there is a cat inside, but when it happens here, it's funny. Nobody's RV houses a CIA style command and control center, but when it happens here, it's funny. Nobody injects Sodium Pentathol into their future son-in-law (though many girlfriend's dads/future bride's dads would probably like to) but when it happens here....you get the picture...and if you're anything like me, you'll get this one.

2 Comments:

Blogger S.S. said...

I enjoyed Meet the Fockers, but I like Meet the Parents so much more. It's one of my all time favourite.

It just hold the saying that nothing beats the original. Except probably, Spiderman 2.

3:40 AM  
Blogger John said...

You're right, Meet the Parents was better. Few sequels measure up to the original. The Harry Potter ones do, and Spiderman 2 was great, but for every one of those, there's a thousand Matrix Reloaded's.

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home