Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Hollywood

So Renee Zellweger and Kenny Chesney, dating since January, got hitched, and her publicist says they are in the early stages of getting to know each other. How sweet. Call me old fashioned (why not, most people do) but isn't that something you do before you say the "I do's"? I mean, who am I to say this marriage doesn't stand a chance, but how serious can you be if you're just getting to know one another and have been dating for almost 5 months and you're married?

I know, it's standard Hollywood. It's a way of life foreign to most of us who don't live in that world and yet, those who do are notorious for telling the rest of us how we should live and who we should vote for. Cases in point, Susan Sarandon and her puppet/husband, Tim Robbins, and Barbara Streisand There are plenty more but those suit my purposes as examples. In my opinion (and that's what counts in this place) Ms. Sarandon was the example of life imitating art when she played Janet in the Rocky Horror Picture Show. The audience line when she appears on screen is perfect. The fact that these people have a soapbox to stand on, and they do, makes them think they are qualified to use it, and for the vast majority of them, nothing could be farther from the truth. That doesn't mean I think they should be silenced. Everyone has the right to their opinion and I have and will defend their right to express it, even if I think they are morons.

I fully realize that some of you out there are saying the same thing about me, and using this blog as my soapbox, but that's OK. Sometimes I get to be a moron too, and I'm sure the world is grateful that my audience is small and doesn't take anything I say as gospel.


Sing along with me (with all due credit to Rocky Horror)...

Science fiction, double feature
Frank has built and lost his creature
Darkness has conquered Brad and Janet
The servants gone to a distant planet
Wo oh oh oh oh oh
At the late night, double feature, picture show
I want to go
Oh oh oh oh
To the late night, double feature, picture show

12 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Funny ... that was similar to what i was wondering ... they met in January... and got married this month... maybe not whirlwind but still... kinda fast... does the bump show ?

9:57 AM  
Blogger Painter Lady said...

He's been in love with her since he saw her in that Tom Cruise Movie..Jerry Something. His song "You had me at Hello" was written about her.

(I read that someplace)

As for Rocky Horror..."Let's do the Time warp"

Personally, I think you don't really know a person until you've known them well over a year.

That's my tarnished 2 Cents .

10:54 AM  
Blogger John said...

Yeah, and I've been in love with Princess Fiona ever since I saw her in Shrek. That woman can act, and kickbox. Am I ready to marry her though? Well, besides the small matter of my current marriage, I still don't think so.

12:18 PM  
Blogger S.S. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:08 AM  
Blogger S.S. said...

Thanks for letting me know about Renee's marriage!

And about Ms. Sarandon's "puppet", Excuse Me - but I like Tim Robbins. Just curious, what makes you think that he's her puppet?

I have no idea why they haven't got hitched, but they seem content with it. Plus they're one of Hollywood's longest lasting couple (I believe it has been 20 years or so). So gotta give them credit for that.

About getting married after 5 month, I can't see what's wrong with that. Really, I know some people who get married after only few months, and their relationship is as strong as anyone's else.

I would do it too, if I like someone enough to marry him, and vice versa.

OK this is not my blog, so I better stop right here and now :)

And yes, it was me (who deleted the previous post). I made too many grammatical errors hehehe...

5:11 AM  
Blogger John said...

What I mean by calling Tim Robbins her puppet:

Tim Robbins, before he Met Ms. Sarandon, wasn't a particularly political animal. She was. Her views have always garnered photo op time on television. Once they met (Bull Durham, in which, by the way, I thought they both did a great job), however, and since married, his views are an exact duplicate of hers. Now they both get their photo op time on the news, but she spouts her opinion and he pretty much says, "Yeah! What she said." He has no view of his own. He has just swallowed hers, hook line and sinker. She pulls the string and he talks.

9:12 AM  
Blogger John said...

Oh, and the getting married after 5 months. It isn't that part that hit me. It was the spokesperson saying they are just getting to know each other. That is someting I think you sorta take care of before you go saying "I do."

9:21 AM  
Blogger S.S. said...

About marrying someone after only 5 months/less than a year, I was responding to painter lady's comment, John :)

7:53 PM  
Blogger S.S. said...

On my best friend's wedding last year, the best man's advise for the groomsman was, "Always remember 3 little words: YOU'RE RIGHT, DEAR"

I suspect that's why Tim Robbins chooses not to have any opinions, just for the sake of avoiding long winded argument.

But hey, I can't believe we're arguing over a celebrity who yes, you might be right, has no views of his own.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Painter Lady said...

I didn't comment on them marrying after 5 months. My comment was regarding my opinion on how long I personally think it takes to get to really know a person. I base this on my own experience.

9:24 PM  
Blogger S.S. said...

I reckon (this is my personal opinion) you shouldn't really wait for too long to get married to someone.

If you're with someone for too long without getting married, you'll lose the sense of commitment (if that makes sense at all).

Marriage is about commitment, and if within few months you don't think you want to commit to this person (for whatever reason), there must be something wrong there.

Loving someone is about taking that someone for their goods and bads. So I disagree with, "But you don't know him. You've just met him." You can be married to someone for 10 years and still don't know that someone (by the time you know him - it was because he ran off with some other chick).

Of course, it's important to do BACKGROUND check. You have to see him with his family and friends to 'know' whether he's different when he's with other people.

3:53 AM  
Blogger S.S. said...

I went out with this guy once, he was so charming. All of his friends told me that no-one can be sweeter, more gentle, loving, loyal etc etc.

Then I met his parents. And they told me that he has a mental illness. I'm not talking about 'The Beautiful Mind' kinda craziness. I'm talking about manipulating bastard craziness.

And since I was in love, I was in denial and told myself that I will stand by him no matter what.

But my parents thought I was nuts and by a chance of fate, I had to leave the country.

When I came back, I was soooo grateful I went out of the country. I needed to be away to see outside the circle. And have since found out that Your Love Life Is In Your Hand.

You can wait a decade - marry someone and be happy. But you can also marry someone you've met for 10 days and still be equally happy.

That's if you make a choice and stick by it.

4:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home