Wednesday, June 29, 2005

I'm a genius, or a fool

Fantasy sports can make you feel like one or the other, more than once in the same week if you take them too seriously. I don't get as involved as some people. I can't do fantasy football or baseball, with drafts and trades and stats and all that. I just don't have the time. Some people say that those who do need to get a life. I contend they have one. It just is partially consumed with fantasy sports, which is, to them, a priority that it may not be for others. The same could be said for bloggers, by the way.

I do mess with fantasy golf, and fantasy football in that we (a few of us in the office) pick games, but we don't get down to the player level and trades and all that fantasy football can become. None of us have that kind of time. Last year was my banner year. I picked a bunch of correct football games and did OK picking winners in golf, finishing both first among the office folks who play. People wanted to know how I was doing it, because I was a freakin' genuis. I contended, and still do, that while it's fun, it's also dumb luck. I have a handicap on some years with football picks, because I refuse to pick the Jaguars to lose...ever. Last year, that didn't hurt me....too much. This year in golf though, I am the finger of death. I am the cellar dwelling fool who can't get it right to save his life. No matter who I pick it seems, that week they tank. I have been tempted to send out letters to PGA Tour pros saying, "If I don't get 2% of your winnings this week, I'm picking you in your next tournament, which will make it all but certain you'll miss the cut." All that stands in my way are a few addresses, and laws. What's a little extortion between friends, and since I can't seem to pick people who will play well, the least I can do is make a profit on my inability. Is 2% too much to ask for being a fool?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home