Wednesday, August 10, 2005

do your homework Chris

I read an article today about tight ends in the NFL . Chris Carter listed ones to watch, overrated, underrated and what not. I looked, hoping to see Kyle Brady listed in some way shape or form. The guy's an awesome blocker who can catch. No, he's not particularly quick, but once he catches the ball, it usually takes more than one guy to bring him down, so he's good for a few yards after the catch. Besides that, he's a Jaguar (and I'm a homer) and he went to a high school that played my high school in most sports, so he's from 'home' (and again, I'm a homer).

OK, I wasn't really put off by no mention of Kyle. I was just hoping, and I'm used to having most of the guys I pull for on Sundays in the fall ignored by the national media because they play for the other small market team. Imagine my surprise then when the rookie to watch is Matt Jones. When he was drafted, that (ie. tight end) was the speculation on how the Jaguars would use him, but so far in camp, the speculation is wrong. I've watched the updates on the local sports shows and been to the team's scrimmage last Friday. Matt's lining up pretty damn wide for a tight end. He's making rookie mistakes and is a bit tentative out there, but he's only been in camp a week. The guy is six foot twenty and runs a 4.3 40. You can bet your ass he'll be playing wide receiver, despite the musings of one Chris Carter.

If you're going to mention a guy in your column, at least do your homework and know what the team is doing with him. In this case you'll get away with it because nobody outside of J'ville gives a rats ass about Matt Jones.....yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home